General discussion

Setting Up W2000 on peer to peer network

By Casemaker ·
Hi,
I built a system running W2K. I wanted to set it up on a peer to peer network with two other systems, one a ME Laptop and one a 95 desktop. The problem I ran into is when I try and access the 2000 server machine it denies me access even though I set no passwords. Wwhat I would like is a walk through of the setup from the reinstall to the network settings. please be as detail;ed as you can. I have looked for the resource material and tried to learn the information. My customer is just a little pissed right now and I need to try and set this up again on Thursday.
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Rabbit_Runner In reply to Setting Up W2000 on peer ...

Hi,
There is nothing in the install that you need to change.
What you need to do is to add 'users' on your win2k machine. Add a user with the EXACT username and password that is used to log on to the other computers.
Right click 'My Computer', Select MANAGE
In the left window, find 'local users and groups. Add the users in the users folder. Make certain that the users name and passwords are exact.
Then you will have no problems accessing the win2k system from the network.

Good luck

Collapse -

by Rabbit_Runner In reply to Setting Up W2000 on peer ...

Here is some extra info.
1. I assume you did a standard 'install' and used most defults.
2. If this is the case, then you do not need to change anything. The install is fine.
3. Make certain you log into the win2k system as Administrator to sharethe drive or folders. Set share to 'everyone' and the appropriate permissions.
4. if your file system is NTFS, you can set security permissions on the folders, but I assume that this will not be necessary.
5. THE IMPORTANT thing is that you add users on the win2k system to MATCH the user "logon's" from the other two systems.
6. Follow the instructins above and the shared folders will be available across the network.

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to Setting Up W2000 on peer ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

In reply to question #1.
I log on as administrator.I have addes the new users with the exact name and password. One user does not have a password to log on(I am now doing this in my lab and one of the machines I use is named win98 and no log on password). At first I right clicked on the Freni1C: in my computer and saw the share as C$ and was not allowed to change permissions. then I created a new share called Freni1 and was able to create a share and give access to the users that I had entered.I have given full control to the users.I still am not able to get into the W2K machine after doing this.
If anyone is MCSE certified or equivalent and would like to talk me through this on the phone , I would pay you for your time.
Thanks

Collapse -

by mike_mds In reply to Setting Up W2000 on peer ...

On your 2000 machine, have you gone into the Local Security Settings and given the users the "Access this computer from the network" right?

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)