General discussion

Setting Up Windows 2003 Server

By KingOfTheNerds ·
Hi All,

I have installed Windows 2003 Server R2 on a PC that I want to use as a Filemaker Server only.

I want to join it to the domain but don't want other computers in the domain to access it for anything else but Filemaker.

I am unsure if I should use DCPROMO or simply join the domain as I would on an XP Pro machine.

Can someone please tell me what is the difference between joining via DCPROMO and via Computer Name Change>Change>Domain or Workgroup?

I am under the impression that if I use DCPROMO that it will install Active Directory and setup this Windows 2003 Server as a Domain controller that clients will access if my main server is overloaded, for info in Active Directory.

Can someone please tell me the do's and don'ts.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Setting Up Windows 2003 S ...

for a file server make it a member server thats the computer name change name join domain. If your going to use the server to host an application such as a terminal server, it's a member server.

if you want redundancy for your Active Directory based network, then you dcpromo promote a member server to a domain controller, then assign roles to the domain controller such as the Global Catalog role for user log on [should the other DC take a header into the abyss].

Collapse -

by cmiller5400 In reply to Setting Up Windows 2003 S ...

CG IT is correct. Just do the system properties/computer name/change and change it to the domain to add it as a member server.

Collapse -

by shawnyongfc In reply to Setting Up Windows 2003 S ...

If you only want to uses as a file server, try the Windows Storage Server 2003 R2. Tear down of Win 2003 Server, nothing but sotrage. Cheers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/wss2003/default.mspx

Collapse -

by hidingdragon In reply to Setting Up Windows 2003 S ...

I am not really familiar with FileMaker Server, but it should be similar to MSSQL or other back-end application server.

I would not perform DCPROMO since you will make the server a DC. While it would be more secured with strigent dc policy, it might be too strict for you.

If you are running AD, and all of your users are just domain users, then you don't have to worry about a member server being access for something else.

However, if you would like to be more strict, then you can either deploy network access-list on the switch level (granted you have some sort of a switch that supports this) or you can start filtering the port at the server.

Default share can also be disabled.

I would also stop any services that are not necessary from starting up automatically, (start --> run --> services.msc), e.g., Remote Registry, Print Spooler, FTP, etc.

Cheers.

Collapse -

by danielt In reply to Setting Up Windows 2003 S ...

If you promote the server to a DC then it will be used to lookup information in the AD database. It will also periodicaly perform replication with other DCs. Simply join as a Windows XP machine which will make the machine a member server. Then you can lock down all ports except the ones used by Filemaker via IPSec which I would assign via Domain Group Policy. Bingo nice and secure! Only traffic comming in or out dedicated to Filemaker would be allowed. Someone mentioned that a DC would be more secure. Yes because the DC Security Template is applied by default but you can apply the template to any server even if not a DC. I have customized my security templates for each server which works great.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)