General discussion

Shared Contacts in Address Book - Outlook and Exchange 2003

By ATLTEK ·
I have a client running an SBS 2003 server with Exchange 2003. The workstations are running Outlook 2003. User1 is has shared his mailbox and contacts with full rights to User2. User2 can view, edit, and delete User1's contacts by choosing Contacts in Outlook. When User2 creates a New Message, and clicks the "TO" button to bring up the Address Book, she cannot view User1's contacts.

How does User2 view User1's contacts in her address book when composing a New Message?

There has to be a way.

Cheers!
-Stevens

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

SOLVED- Shared Contacts in Address Book - Outlook and Exchange 2003

by ATLTEK In reply to Shared Contacts in Addres ...

After many hours of searching, I finally found a solution.
I tested back and forth with 2 user accounts and a Windows Mobile device.

1. Create a new Outlook profile that connects directly with the other user's mailbox, not your own, then start Outlook with this profile. If you receive a prompt that Outlook cannot open the folders, you may need to ask the Exchange administrator to grant your Windows user account full access to the other user's mailbox temporarily so that you can complete these steps.
2. Right-click the other user's Contacts folder, choose Properties, then switch to the Outlook Address Book tab. Make sure that the Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book box is checked. Under Name of the address book, change the displayname from Contacts (the default) to a name that will distinguish this address list, such as Joe's Contacts if you're in Joe's mailbox.
3. Close Outlook.
4. In Control Panel | Mail, bring up the properties for the profile that you created in Step 1. In the Microsoft Exchange Server service, change the main mailbox from the other user's to your own. On the Advanced tab of the Exchange Server service, add the other user's mailbox as a secondary mailbox.
5. Restart Outlook, using the same profile as in Steps 1 and 4.

After you restart Outlook, when you display the address book, you should see Joe's Contacts listed in the Outlook Address Book along with your own Contacts folder.

Thank You!
found at: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oloabpf.htm#top

Collapse -

You're working too hard.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to SOLVED- Shared Contacts i ...

If they're running E2003, they still have the Public Folders capability. You could have just created a shared Contacts folder in Public Folders.

Collapse -

But Windows Mobile..... no public contacts

by ATLTEK In reply to You're working too hard.

Yes, that's our standard operating procedure, but these contacts need to be synced to a Windows Mobile device.

Basically the assistant manages all of the contact, calendar, and email for the boss. She also replies to email's via the boss@domain.com account. That's why the contacts need to stay in his contacts folder and be available when composing a new message via the Address Book.

Collapse -

The Global Address List may solve the problem.

by RechTepublic In reply to Shared Contacts in Addres ...

The Exchange Global Address List (GAL) is the only solution I have found. Microsoft has been working on making it available for Windows Mobile users for a while. I remember that there was a patch for Windows Mobile 5 but I didn't have a need to explore it at that time.

I can say that with my Windows Mobile 6 phone I can access the GAL on my Exchange 2007 server. I don't know if this will work with Exchange 2003 but I wouldn't rule it out.

Here is how it works: When you create a new email on WM6 and press "To" you will see an entry at the top of your Contacts named "Company Directory". When you select it a search window will open. Note that it does not try to list the entire directory which is a good thing because they can be huge! You enter a portion of the name or email address and press "Search". It then queries the GAL and shows you the results.

I hope this helps.

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)