General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Shared Exchange 2000 calendar

by infoguy ·

I’ve been asked to create a “common” calendar for all my Exchange 2000 users. Ideally, the default calendar in Outlook 2002 would be this shared calendar. This one calendar would contain each users’s appointments, but each user would only see their own appointments plus other appointments from their active directory group(s). I’ve been searching the web and reading the Exchange 2000 Server Admin. Companion, but to no avail – I’ve seen nothing similar to this. I’d prefer to do this without resorting to third-party software, but I haven’t ruled that out. So my problems are thus: 1) how to change the default calendar in Outlook 2002 2) how to prevent users from seeing anything they are not supposed to see on this shared calendar. Thanks in advance for the help.

Infoguy

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by infoguy ·

In reply to Shared Exchange 2000 calendar

Point value changed by question poster.

by darts32 ·

Have a look at this:

http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/scheduleall.htm

Or you could create a public Folder with a calendar and have people post there. Not really possible to do exactly what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps somewhat.

by jackofalltech ·

I’m sorry, but I have to ask… Why??? Why would you need a common calendar when you can check anyone’s availability? Is it that mgt wants to be able to see the actual, specific info for each user?

Ralph

by infoguy ·

To keep it simple for the end users – easier to have one calendar than to try to keep track of several.

by mgs ·

Depending on the number of users, you may want to create “department’ calendars due to the limitation of viewable entries on a day.
      After creating the calendars, right click on it and set permissions.
      I also suggest a separate one for Resources -like conference rooms, shared equipment – projectors, vans, etc. with 1 or 2 people setup with ‘Owner’ permissions.

The Personal Calendar is then used for non business appointments.

by dklippert ·

by gareth watson ·

Use public folder and create a folder of the type calender. This will then be listed in all outlook clients. You can set permissions on this folder so that users can only edit there own items etc.

This is what we do in our office and it works atreat.

by infoguy ·

Again, I want some items to be invisible to the ordinary user, and only seen by a certain group.

by kdrungilas ·

I agree with the answer in #1, Sue Mosher’s site is the ultimate for info on Outlook and calendaring. http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/scheduleall.htm

But, I do not believe there is a solution there that will allow you to restrict viewing certain appts. on the calendar to certain people, and that seems to be what you want. Allowing someone to view a calendar allows them to view all the public appts. Even tho you can mark some appts as “private” and allow certain people the ability to seethese by granting them “Owner” permissions on the folder, you cannot limit viewing any other way using OL tools.

It may be possible to create some VB code to view only appts created by a group. But I think a database setup serving limited items to permission groups might be the only way to do what you want.
      kathy drungilas, http://www.outsourcecorp.com

by infoguy ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 7 reply threads