Question

Shared HP1020 that won't print from another machine

By Jacques.Gordon ·
I?m experiencing a strange problem at work. There is a XP pro machine on a domain with a HP LaserJet 1020 connected and shared.

The printer prints from the local machine but it won?t print from other machines unless I disable bidirectional support. The problem is that if I do that then it prints fine from the network for a day or two and then all print jobs fail. If I re-enable bidirectional support and then disable it again then it works again for a day or two and then the problem comes back again. I have tried replacing the printer, the local machine and usb printer cables. The only thing I can think of now is that it must be a network problem but I can ping everything fine from the local machine and it replies to pings from the other machines. I?ve also tried resetting the switches. Please help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Coul you help me?

by indnets In reply to Shared HP1020 that won't ...

I read about your problem, because I have the same one.
If I disable bidirectional support at the doamin workstation A where is HP 1020 printer is installed then other domain user from another domain workstation B can print.The user A on workstation A can print too.
The problem appears, when I restarted A.Then user A can not print nor user B?!

Collapse -

Check your routers

by Jacques.Gordon In reply to Coul you help me?

I found the problem with my setup.

The machine that was sharing the printer was connected to the main switch using a little 4port d-link switch. When I connected him to a 24port hp switch and re-enabled bi-directional support everything worked fine.

An even better option is buy a network printer and save yourself the headaches...

Back to Peripheral Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)