General discussion

Sharing files on Windows 2000

By TINK ·
I have enabled a folder on my workstation as shareable. I granted a user within my domain full control of the folder. He can view the folder, but he cannot access the subfolders. He does not have access to copy the folder or it's contents to his local machine. He cannot open any of the files within the folder.

Am I missing something?

I would like to be able to grant him access to the folder and all it's contents (i.e. subfolders). I'd like for him to be able to read/execute and save the files to another location.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dRb63 In reply to Sharing files on Windows ...

Don't forget to check the user profile under the security tab.

Collapse -

by TINK In reply to Sharing files on Windows ...

What user profile under security? I'm not sure what you are talking about. Please elaborate.

Collapse -

by Gigelul In reply to Sharing files on Windows ...

Check both share and security permissions on this folder.
These can be:
-share permissions - Everyone with full rights
-security permissions:
- You with full rights
- User with change rights
- Remove everyone

Collapse -

Check. This doesn't help at the folder level. I did find that if I grant security rights to the user for each file within the folder, he can have access. I want to share a folder with 2G of data (25,000 files). I do not want to have to go to every file within that folder and grant the user security permissions. In addition, I would have to go to every subfolder and make them shareable as well. Is there a way I can propagate the security permissions at the folder level for all files and subfolders and files within the subfolder?

Collapse -

Hi,
I don't suggest you to do this manualy for all subfolders.
I don't have a Win2000 box, but as I know you must allow permissions setting to propagate to all subfolders and files.
If I remember correct, on share security tab you must disable <allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object>, in next window chose <copy> or <remove> and define new security permissions as you wish. When you finish this operation the security settings will be propagate to all subfolders and files (if you don't modified something on some subfolders - all subfolders must have in security tab enabled <allow inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object&gt.

Collapse -

Also you must work with permissions at folders levels. Is not a good idea to work with permissions at files level, because everytime you cange a file (add, modify, save)the permissions will be reset at parent folder permissions.

Collapse -

I tried your suggestions. User still does not have access to open subfolders. It doesn't seem to propagate as intended.

Collapse -

by VinnyD In reply to Sharing files on Windows ...

You need to create a login for the user on the local Windows 2000 computer.

Go to the Start Button, Settings, Control Panel, administrative tools, Computer Managment.

Click on the + sign to open Local Users and Groups.

Click on the User folder.

In the right hand column right click the mouse.
Choose New User. Enter the other users login name they use on thier computer and make the password the same as they use.

Now in the Share properties on the Security Tab you can add this userso they have permissions to access the files in the folder.

Collapse -

This doesn't work. Following your suggestions, the user cannot even access the shared folder.

If I add the user from the domain (rather than the local machine), he can access the shared folder, but not the subfolders.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)