General discussion

Shortcut keys respond slowly.NT/2000 Mix

By nordeide ·
Hi,

I have a network with NT4 Server and NT4/Win2000 Pro clients. All users have roaming profiles, so that they can log on any PC and work from there.

After one of the users, who usually uses an NT4 PC, logged on to the Win2000 PC, the Edit shortcut keys (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V) respond very slowly, both on the 2000 PC and his own NT4.

For example, the user can mark a section in Word or Excel, and when he uses Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X to copy or cut the selection, the PC hangs for a long enough time to be very annoying.

This behaviour does not happen if he uses the Edit menu, only the shortcut keys. And it seemed to happen after he once used the Win2000 PC, which makes me wonder if something has happened to his roaming profile.

Any ideas on this? I've read discussions here on TechRepublic that mention problems with roaming profiles in mixed environments, but problems like this haven't been mentioned.

I thank you in advance!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Shortcut keys respond slo ...

I have only once used roaming profiles in a mixed environment, and I found that they very easily became corrupted under these circumstances. I'd try creating a completely new profile for him (obviously save his old one in case he needs stuff from it like Favorites or templates, etc.) and see if that fixes the problem. If so, you can be pretty sure that it's a problem of corruption that happened between the two OS's. For one thing, I know that the roaming profile synchronization process happens very differently on Win2K than on NT, and maybe this is part of the cause of corruption. The other thing to check out - since this seems like it might be related to Office apps - is whether the two systems had different versions of Office installed. This could possibly cause wierd behavior, too, particularly if his Normal.dot template (for Word) is in his profile on one OS (i.e., Win2K) and on the C: drive of the computer in the other OS (i.e., NT). I've never seen anything specific from MS that confirms that this happens, but I have enough real world experience to say that it's likely. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by nordeide In reply to Shortcut keys respond slo ...

Thanks for your reply. I removed and re-created the NT profile, and then the shortcut keys responded properly again!

Collapse -

by nordeide In reply to Shortcut keys respond slo ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)