General discussion

Should I use WinME or Win2000?

By goldenjedi ·
I use my computer to print out paper typed in word, go on the internet and print on the internet, download and play music and MP3's, burn CD's, make and print out CD labels. I dont play video games on it. I need to know if I should use ME or Win2000. I have a Pentium 3 500Mhz, 128MGs of RAM, win 98se and my computer crashes way too often so I want to know which OS should I upgrade to.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by pjpatiky In reply to Should I use WinME or Win ...

Hi Golden - You centralize your question around printing. MP3 goes with anything. But with printing as a central factor go with WN2000. WNMe is an update/upgrade to WN98 and does ot enhance your printing techniques that WN2000 will.
And have you read the number of malfunctions that users are experiencing with WNMe upgrades?

Collapse -

by goldenjedi In reply to Should I use WinME or Win ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by pschuvie In reply to Should I use WinME or Win ...

I wonder if your thinking that the "upgrading" will eliminate your current problems with system crashes. If so then it may or it may not help your situation. Clean installs do a better job than upgrading an already unstable system. Also there is the fact that you must consider ahead of time if you can get the proper drivers for either of the upgrades to match the devices in your system. And whether or not the applications that you use are really compatible with the newer OS's or will they also need upgrading. Sure there is backwards compatibility, but often this is an area that does not really get full attention, especially in software areas.

So at this point you might want to dig further into "just what is causing your crashes" oryou might want to consider a clean reinstall on your machine of Windows SE and all applications from a clean formatted hard disk. This time you can put in only those applications that you really want and you will be cleaning out all the little "leftovers" that have accumulated over time. It is a bit of a task but often it can be very worthwhile.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by G S In reply to Should I use WinME or Win ...

I agree with the above post...I have not had good luck with ME, it is does not facilitate an upgrade very well. I believe if you feel the need to go with a new OS then get 2000. However I fully recomend a complete format and reinstall regardless of which route you take.

Good Luck...
Garrison

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by S6xtyN9ne In reply to Should I use WinME or Win ...

For an end-user of what you will be doing, go with WinME. Its more user friendly than win2k. Win2k is primarily for networking/networks. It is also a little bit harder to set-up than WinME. WinME has mixed reviews about it, but im running it and ive found that it hardly crashes. Its VERY easy to set-up and most drivers are native. In my opinion, its a better O/S for a user like you than win2k would be.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by S6xtyN9ne In reply to Should I use WinME or Win ...

For an end-user of what you will be doing, go with WinME. Its more user friendly than win2k. Win2k is primarily for networking/networks. It is also a little bit harder to set-up than WinME. WinME has mixed reviews about it, but im running it and ive found that it hardly crashes. Its VERY easy to set-up and most drivers are native. In my opinion, its a better O/S for a user like you than win2k would be.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next