General discussion

Shutdown causing restart in Win2000

By hiland76 ·
I've got a user whose computer does not shutdown completely when choosing shutdown from the menu, rather it restarts. The OS is Windows 2000 and I have not found any setting that could affect this. Has anyone had a similar problem with a Win2k machine not shutting down properly?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Shutdown causing restart ...

Check the power supply fan to see if it is operating properly and also pay attention to the CPU fan and check for overheating.
Open the Control Panel and see if by disabling the Power Management would help and check the Anti-Virus configuration.
Check the Microsoft Knowledgebase for any fixes to Win2K shutdown problems.

Collapse -

by hiland76 In reply to Shutdown causing restart ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by pauly_18_98 In reply to Shutdown causing restart ...

try going to run>type msconfig on the General page go into Advance and put a check in "Disable Fast Shutdown" worked for me but on Win98 SE, it was the exact same problem on mine hope it works or gives you something to work with.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by chris hirst In reply to Shutdown causing restart ...

I have had the same happen with Win2k and Gigabyte GA6 series boards, I built 6 computers, all identical hardware right down to the case and 5 were fine 1 had this restart instead of shut down it seems to be some problem between ACPI, APM and the PSU. If I changed any APM settings it worked as it should but changing back to defaults did not cause the problem to return so was unable to recreate problem to facilitate further testing.

Hopefully the same wil work in your case

Chris

Collapse -

Collapse -

by dandee1 In reply to Shutdown causing restart ...

You didn't say if this is a new system, or if they have been running it a while. Or if there have been any hardware changes to it. If this is the case something to look at is the order that the cards are installed in the PCI slots. I have seen wherea sound card installed in a dedicated slot for a NIC caused this problem. All that had to be done was move the cards to different slots and the problem went away.

Another piece of hardware to look at is the modem (if there is 1) A defective card will do the same time.

Dandee1

P.S. HAVE A DANDEE DAY!!

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)