General discussion

shutdown in Windows Server 2000/NT 4.0

By nvig-administrator ·
How to set schedule to shutdown in WIndows Server 2000 and Windows NT4.0?

Anyone can help pls
Thks
NS

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Gigelul In reply to shutdown in Windows Serve ...

Use "shutdown.exe" from resource kit.
More info with: shutdown /?

Collapse -

by nvig-administrator In reply to

From DOS command, It works, but i schedule it (Windows NT Server), it did not. Can you help pls
Thks
NS

Collapse -

by charles_j_smith In reply to shutdown in Windows Serve ...

To expland on above, you'd want to use Task Scheuduler and point to shutdown.exe after you grab it from the resource kit. If you search on the internet, there are a few other utilities to shut down; however, using microsoft's tools is the most popular way to go.

You'll basically add a task, and point it to the shutdown utility and then schedule -at that time- when you want the server to shut down. Be sure to check those command line options for shutdown because you'll want to ensure that all applications get closed properly (I can't remember what parameter that was, I think -f for force..). Anyway, I hope this helped a little.

Good luck..

Collapse -

by nvig-administrator In reply to

Yes, in Windows NT server, I did, but scheduler said COULD NOT START. Can you help pls.
Thks
NS

Collapse -

by Mark In reply to shutdown in Windows Serve ...

You need to supply the login credentials for scheduler. Goto the advanced settings and Run As.

Collapse -

by Woody H In reply to shutdown in Windows Serve ...

Get the shutdown.exe file that everyone is talking about. Then write a small batch file, referencing the shutdown command, but giving it a countdown of like 30 seconds.. something like:

@echo off
shutdown.exe (options here)

then use your at scheduler and schedule the batch file to be run. Hope this helps.

Woody

Collapse -

by d.williams In reply to shutdown in Windows Serve ...

You can schedule a task to launch shutdown.exe at the required time.

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)