Question

Sierra Wireless Card 875 freezes up laptop (Acer Aspire 3680)

By ciavyn ·
I am having a problem: When I put my Sierra Wireless card into my laptop, it immediately freezes the entire system.

History: When I first obtained the card, it worked fine. Then, after nearly two weeks of regular use, Windows Update downloaded the latest Vista (I have Vista Basic) updates, and the card froze the system. I called AT&T, they had me uninstall everything and then reinstall it. THe card worked fine. Two weeks later, the same thing happened again, and At&T replaced the card with a new one. Now, almost a month later, it is happening again. At&T states that it must be my computer.

My computer is less than three months old, and has no other problems establishing wireless connections via its wireless modem. At&T suggests that it is a configuration issue, and to call Acer.

Suggestions? I have yet to hear back from Acer.

Thanks!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Card troubles

by cldukes06 In reply to Sierra Wireless Card 875 ...

If the card came with a CD for drivers, perhaps try doing that, or Google drivers for the card...I wouldn't know that's just a suggestion from me.

Collapse -

Tried that

by ciavyn In reply to Card troubles

Unfortunately, the driver update requires the card to be plugged into my computer to update the drivers....which in turn freezes up my computer as soon as I plug it in....Erg.

Thanks for trying.

Collapse -

Silly question . . .

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Sierra Wireless Card 875 ...

Have you made sure that when you activate the AT&T card, the ACER WIRELESS is SWITCHED OFF.

By 'Switched Off' I don't just mean the chassis switch for the wireless antenna, but the actual wireless connection inside Vista @ Control Panel > Network Connections.

This connection is 'ON' by default, in Vista!

<Edited for clarity>

Collapse -

Tried this too

by ciavyn In reply to Silly question . . .

Made no difference.

But thanks, anyway.

Collapse -

One thought

Do you have the ability to try the wireless card in a different notebook? Perhaps one using XP, at least that way you will have an idea as to where to look for the problem.

Collapse -

No

by ciavyn In reply to One thought

No I don't, unfortunately. It works fine for a while, and then starts freezing everything. And if I had to guess, I would say the connection to the freezing is related to windows updates. But I'm not sure how to fix it. And of course, Acer has not emailed me back.

Back to Smartphones Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)