Question

Simple...or what should be simple... Access 2007 question

By shawn ·
I have a field in a table that contains a number or days (examp 100) I need to add a field to a report or right back into the table that calculates the date 100 days ago. Why is this so hard for Access?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

It isn't.

by Maevinn In reply to Simple...or what should b ...

Now()-Field1 works fine. It won't happen in a table view, because that's recursive. You're asking it to tell you a date that's XX days ago, when XX hasn't been identified.

Setting it up in a report, use the formula above (preferably with some formatting) and it will be just fine. Or modify the data entry form to perform the calculation and update a field in the table, unless you need the value to always be XX from NOW(), rather than XX from the date the record was entered.

Collapse -

found something

by shawn In reply to It isn't.

=DateAdd("d",-[Age 1],[Date])

I used this to get the date to count back whatever the number of days were in the Field (Age 1). It works. Thing is, I can't count back from the current date, I have to count back from the date the data was collected and put in Age 1 (via pocket pc).

Collapse -

There is also DateSubstract...

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to found something

e.g
Update MyTable
Set [DateSomeDaysAgo] = DateSubtract("d",[Age1],[Date])
Where [DateSomeDaysAgo] is null

Collapse -

Functions

by Maevinn In reply to found something

Use the Now() function instead of the Date field. That will give you the current date.

Collapse -

Try date() function

by arkman In reply to Simple...or what should b ...

Try
=DateAdd("d",-[Age 1],date())

Collapse -

correction

by shawn In reply to Try date() function

I just read my earlier post, I should have said - I must use the date that came in from the pda, not the current date. So what I did works. I'd rather have it be in the table. How is that possible?

Collapse -

Update Query

by Maevinn In reply to correction

Create an update query that runs on close for the data entry form.

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)