General discussion

Size of Exch 2000 not reduce

By jamrock ·
I used System Mgr to cleanup mailboxes which it did, but the size of priv is still 8.9 gig. Do i need to do anything else to reduce the actural size of priv files. I am on Exchange 2000 spk 2 running on W2K spk2. Thanks for any help

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by hberkhoff In reply to Size of Exch 2000 not red ...

This is normal behaviour of exchange. You will need to do an offline defragmentation of the database, to get the space back.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/tips/defragmentation.asp

(delete any spaces in the url)

Collapse -

by jamrock In reply to Size of Exch 2000 not red ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Size of Exch 2000 not red ...

A couple of additions to the previous answer:
1. By default, the mailbox store retains deleted mailboxes for 30 days. You cannot recover any space until that period (or whtever period you have changed it to) has elapsed.
2. Check for event ID 1221 in your event logs. This event is generated nightly during online maintenance, and will indicate how much free space is in the store. You may gain little by running the offline defrag (using eseutil).
3. There is the POTENTIAL for disaster should eseutil be misapplied. It is recommended that eseutil NOT be used as a routine maintenance tool. Make sure you have a GOOD recent backup before running eseutil.
4. If you are starting to get cramped for space, you might consider adding a larger drive and moving the mailbox store to the new drive. Running the offline defrag may only postpone the inevitable.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Matt Duggan In reply to Size of Exch 2000 not red ...

I tend to just let it manage it's size automatically. It will defragment itself as best it can each night, but won't reclaim the space from deleted objects unless you do an offline defrag. Of course, as more mail arrives, Exchange will make use of this reclaimed space - in my experience, the outage generated by taking Exchange offline isn't worth the benefit of reclaiming disk space that will undoubtably be taken up again within just a few days.

Mind you, when you start getting close to 16GByou will want to revisit this issue...

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)