General discussion

Slow logon to WIndows 2000 Domain

By lt1transamgt ·
I have a Windows 2000 Domain running active directory, server is 2000 and all 10 workstations are 2000 Pro. My problem is the workstations take a very long time to logon. Once they are on everything is fast and works great. What can be the problem causing the delay? All machines are new and they are plugged into a switch. Everything looks correct to me but I must be missing something.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DC1 In reply to Slow logon to WIndows 200 ...

Are you pushing out alot of Group Policies or other logon scripts?

Collapse -

by ewgny In reply to Slow logon to WIndows 200 ...

Are the workstations DNS set to the IP address of your Domain Controller. - They must be if not.
Your Domain Controller's DNS should be configured to forward requests it can't resolve (for internet access)
Post any associated Event ID's back

Collapse -

by Parbo In reply to Slow logon to WIndows 200 ...

Is all well with dns on the server? Check the event log for any entries.

Make sure that pc's and server can resolve each other correctly - try ping by ip and by name at a command prompt. Also ensure that in dns the server is pointing to itself, and that you haven't got your isp's dns server address listed as a dns server in dns - only dns servers at the local level should be listed - isp's dns servers should be listed in dns forwarding.
The W2k Pro systems should have your server listed as a DNS server and not your ISP.

Also make sure that it isn't related to roaming profiles - these can also cause a lengthy log-on if they are transferring stacks of data.

Collapse -

by parvez2k In reply to Slow logon to WIndows 200 ...

plz check the services like netlogon , computer browser, workstation if these services are automatic and started then restart it. i dont know weather this will solve u r prob or not but try it.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)