General discussion

slow pentium II-128mb sdram-10 gb-win2k-

By europanorama ·
i have partitioned into 4 parts with:
c: win2k 3.5 gb
d: swap 900 mb min=max 192
e: programs
f: data

on other drives-not the actual one- i have dislocated also cache\temp, temporary internet files with the help of an expert.

i know using a second drive for swap would be better.

i have installed nortonsystem works+firewall, adaware, spybot and spywareblaster
i will soon double ram to 256 mb
i have converted to ntfs. i was told to use fat32. can i reconvert without formatting? is fat32 really the better solution for such a small drive? is there no stability-arguement for ntfs?

can i leave the swap-partition when i have made the changes? i use this configuration with winme on a p1-mmx-4 gb. antivirus + firewall(no nsystemworks which takes too much ressources at start or always.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by eric.cone In reply to slow pentium II-128mb sdr ...

NTFS operates more efficiently than FAT32 on a 10GB hard disk. I'd take the following actions to speed up this PC:

Your resource hog is norton systemworks + firewall. Turn off everything that starts automatically when your PC boots up, except forthe most critical services. In Windows 2000, check the Startup folder, and then look into the registry at the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Remove all items except those that are absolutely critical.

Next we will optimize the disk, and pagefile. It is best to have a contiguous pagefile (no fragmentation). To accomplish this, delete the pagefile, and then set the min and max sizes to an equal number. For a 128MB system, I'd go with 192MBmin, 192MB max.

Finally, hold down the F8 key on boot up and go into safe mode. Run defragmentation on all drives while in safe mode.

Lastly, bump the system up to 512MB RAM at a minimum - SDRAM is so cheap right now - how can you resist.Regards,
Eric K. Cone

Collapse -

by europanorama In reply to slow pentium II-128mb sdr ...

I COULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM BY REORGANIZING PARTIONS. I HAVE FORMATTED AND CHANGES AS FOLLOWS:
256 MB SDRAM

C: BOOT.SWAP 2GB( 384/769 MIN./MAX
WIN2K FAT 32 4GB
E: PROGRAMS/DATA 4GB

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE SAFE MODE-DEFRAG-TIP

IHAVE SET 384/768 MIN./MAX WITH 256 MB SDRAM

Collapse -

I COULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM BY REORGANIZING PARTIONS. I HAVE FORMATTED AND CHANGES AS FOLLOWS:
256 MB SDRAM

WIN2K FAT 32 4GB

Collapse -

256 MB SDRAM

WIN2K FAT 32 4GB

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to slow pentium II-128mb sdr ...

First, what CPU speed?

I ALWAYS recommend having at least twice Microsoft's stated minimum system requirements for ANY version of Windows.

Next, while many guides and benchmark programs will recommend setting your page file to 1.5 to 2 times installed RAM and to a fixed size, this advice is out of date.

You want to have a bare minimum of 1GB total of installed RAM and page file space.

The primary reason that a fixed size page file is recommended is that a dynamic page file on the C:drive leads to fragmentation of both the page file and system files.
With a dedicated page file drive, these problems do not exist.

Since you have a separate drive for the page file, let Windows allocate the page file on it's own with the entiredrive available for the page file.

The argument for FAT32 on small drives is based on the amount of drive space that NTFS uses to set up the file system. On drives under 2GB, you loose a greater amount of capacity with NTFS than with FAT32.

The only way to convert from NTFS to FAT32 without re-formatting is to use the latest version of Partition Magic.

I would seriously look for a PIII or Athlon motherboard and perform a major system upgrade.

Chas

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

1. its a pentium II-350 from a poor customer. yes, i will never ever again touch a pc slower than pentium III.

2. i have already setup ntfs. one expert says fat32 is better for 10 gb. i wanted to convert back with partition magic which i normallyuse.

i hope i will have access to msconfig-startup. we have not setup an administrator pass. but the account is always there. pls give me advice how to have this access. i have once already visited that website which explains all startup-programsin details.
how can i know which ones of nsystemworks are necessary? one person says i do not need firewall, autoprotect and emailprotect, which will slow down. i should use free-mex(frees ram) and popupcop.

i do not understand that 1 gb-issue. you mean add 2x 512 mb sdram pc-100? its too expensive here. 256 mb-pc 100 costs 80 usd.

Collapse -

one expert says swap min=max 192, the other 256 and third one 800/800 on my swap-partition d:(900 mb)

Back to Windows Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next