General discussion

Small Business Server 2000 - DSL

By lealauron ·
I work for a small company (<10 Users). We have just purchased Microsoft Small Business Server 2000. We will be getting a business DSL connection with Verizon. We would like to move our email inhouse using exchange 2000. We also will be accessing the Internet using ISA server. We would also like to host a company website as well (unless it is more benificial to have an ISP host it?). What is the min. connection speed we can get away with that will provide amble perfomance for this setup? The website will just be small and basic (Company info. and email link). Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks.....

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Raffi_ In reply to Small Business Server 200 ...

As usual - it all depends.

Most DSL connections are Asynchronous (The a in aDSL) which means that the pipe going IN to your office is bigger than the pipe going OUT. Typical can be 1.5MB IN and 512K OUT. How many connections will 512K support?(Visitors to your web site) At a really rough estimate say 10 concurrent users.

But - if your site is mostly static and there is no compelling reason to host it in house I would just pay some hosting Co. the $20 a month or whatever. The reasons? Well, having a web server introduces a host of security problems (no matter what MS says). Do you have a knowledgeable staff person to care for it? What if you get more than 10 concurrent users and they end up going elsewhere? What did that just cost you?

Ditto with your email. Although there are advantages to having it in house these are typically realized in much larger installations and, who is going to administer it? And fix it when it breaks? (I have spent way too many hours fixing a broken server)

In summary - if you have the technical expertise in house and you are sure that the load on the web server is very small - move the servers in house. If you don't or it isn't, don't.

Collapse -

by lealauron In reply to Small Business Server 200 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by eBob In reply to Small Business Server 200 ...

I just wanted to say that I fully agree with the previous comments. Both web and email servers are a lot more work than they seem (or perhaps ought to be). There are the general admin, security issues and service levels to consider. These are almostalways severely under-estimated going into this type of implementation.

You'll have your hands full as it is just getting your firewall (you are plannijng a firewall, right?!?) up and running, and getting your users comfortably running their Internet connections.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to Small Business Server 200 ...

I can appreciate the wisdom contained in the first two answers but also wanted to offer the other side that I've had some really horrible experiences with external mail and Web hosting. ISPs going out of business in the middle of the night, stranding your e-mail and DNS records, incompetent technical support,etc.

If you have the expertise, or have the time to develop it, an in-house solution might indeed make sense. You may need some consulting help to get it set up initially, but SBS can be a pretty stable and troublefree platform once you're through the initial setup.

As far as the line capability, I've seen credible results for a company of your size from as low as 128k circuits, although I would personally go with a 768k line if it was available at a reasonable price. The crucial detail is the Committed Information Rate (CIR) on the circuit because that is the guaranteed speed of the circuit. The nominal rating is just the theoretical potential speed and may, or may not,bear any reasonable relationship to the CIR.

paul

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)