General discussion

SMTP 500 Syntax Error CMD Unrecognized

By jlbpotter ·
I have an Exchange 2003 mail environment with a Watchguard Firebox X2500 firewall. I have a few companies that can not send email to anyone in my company. Then there are other companies that intermittently can send email. Their email gets returned, but if they try again in a couple of hours then it might go through. The NDR usually states that "There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.

<mail.domain.local #5.5.0 smtp;500 Syntax error, command unrecognized> " These emails are received by the sender. I have no problem ever sending email to these companies. Any help on resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently working with Watchguard Technical support but they are kind of slow and haven't found a solution yet. Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to SMTP 500 Syntax Error CMD ...

Sounds like a problem with your Exchange configuration or DNS. BTW, you should not use .local if using mail over internet!!!
------------------------------
Code: 5.0.0
First Available: All numeric codes that were first available with Exchange 2000 Service Pack 1 (4.3.2, 5.4.0, 5.4.4, and 5.5.0) were classified as 5.0.0 in Exchange 2000 Service Pack 1 and earlier.

Possible Causes There is no route for the specified address space. For example, an SMTP connector is configured, but this address does not match.
? DNS returned an authoritative host that was not found for the domain.
? The routing group does not have a connector defined. Mail from one server in one routing group does not have a route to another routing group.
? An SMTP protocol error occurred.
Troubleshooting:1. Correct the address space, or add an address space of type SMTP with asterisk (*) value to one or more SMTP connectors.
2. Verify that DNS is working correctly.
3. Make sure that the routing groups have connectors that connect them.
4. If you are running Exchange 2000 without Service Pack 1, apply Service Pack 1 to help determine the actual

Collapse -

by jlbpotter In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Monice In reply to SMTP 500 Syntax Error CMD ...

What entries are in your Watchguard Log corresponding to these NDRs.

Collapse -

by jlbpotter In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by jlbpotter In reply to SMTP 500 Syntax Error CMD ...

My Incoming-SMTP service on my firewall was corrupted. I'll split the points between both. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -

by jlbpotter In reply to SMTP 500 Syntax Error CMD ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)