Question

SMTP/POP3 mail server with Windows Server 2003

By sanddyc ·
In windows 2003 environment

I have a domain name X, that let?s say is pointing to 1.1.1.1
I have created an MX record mail.X.com that let?s say is pointing to 1.1.1.2

I have installed a POP3 server, created a domain X and 3 mail boxes under the domain (a,b,c) creating a user for each of the mail boxes.

The domain X was created correctly under IIS>SMTP Virtual Server.

I create each of the account in Outlook Express, where:

the email address and reply address are ?a@x.com?, ?b@x.com? and ?c@x.com?

the POP3 server and SMTP server are mail.x.com

the user names are ?a@x.com?, ?b@x.com? and ?c@x.com?, with their respective passwords

The question are :

1 - I don?t seem to be able to send any mail from the box, get an error saying the server can not relay for ?xxxx@us.ibm.com?, or ?yyyy@gmail.com?, which are the recipients of email I'm trying to send

2 ? looking for answers I went to check the box event viewer, for my surprise I was getting 100s of warning messages every minute from the SMTPSVC as the following:

Message delivery to the host '60.199.200.124' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'sun.net.tw' for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host.

Message delivery to the host '163.24.70.140' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'mail.cdes.ptc.edu.tw' for the following reason: The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.

?.. hundreds of these

I don?t know who these senders are, is this normal?

3 ? Then I went to check the badmail folder, I fond almost a 1000000 files sitting in the directory and another 500000 waiting on the queue. I don?t have an open relay SMTP, is this normal?

Thanks for any hints, help or recommendation. At this point I have the SMTP service turn off, I have ran out of ideas where to go next.

Again Thanks in advance. Regards Sanddy

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Hijacked?

by fkamal In reply to SMTP/POP3 mail server wit ...

Sandy, based on the information you have provided, it seems that your mail server could have been or still is hijacked. Basically your server is being used by someone else to send emails out (spam). Remove the server from your network and begin the process of removing what ever has hijacked it.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)