General discussion

smtpsvc 4000 error

By Seadogs ·
I am seeing a recurring error on one of our servers. It shows up about every 30 seconds on a w2k sp3 server as a warning, source smtpsvc, event id 4000. data in words: 0000:c00402e7. It says "message delivery to the remote domain 'domain.net' failed for the following reason: An internal DNS error caused a failure to find the remote server." I haven't been able to find anything on this issue. We are running some software that is probably trying to send out messages to individuals, but they are not going through. Any ideas on clearing this up? Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

smtpsvc 4000 error

by -DaG In reply to smtpsvc 4000 error

I had a similar problem with my laptop. I am running the Microsoft SMTP service and using it to send mail out. The problem was when I sent mail to a user at work, while attached to the same network as the mail server. My mail server was resolving the external address for the server I was send mail to. A quick entry in my local host file with the corrent internal IP address resolved the issue.

To see if you have any mail backed up, check your BADMAIL folder. In my case, there was an e-mail inthere. Opened it and added the host file for the domain.

Hope that helps,
-DaG

Collapse -

smtpsvc 4000 error

by -DaG In reply to smtpsvc 4000 error

Sorry.... fat fingers.... it's the QUEUE folder, not badmail... oops :)

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)