General discussion

Sony CPD G410R No Display

By eraser3498 ·
Today my monitor just quit on me for no reason. The power light flashes from green to yellow and it makes a squeaking noise. Nothing is displayed on the screen. I tried it on various computers and the same thing occurs, it also does it when it power on but not plugged into a computer. Does any one know how to fix this or should a just get a new one. Thanks for your input. Monitor is a Sony CPD G410R. 19 inch CRT

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mjd420nova In reply to Sony CPD G410R No Display

At todays prices, if it's just a CRT, replace it.
If it's a plasma or LCD type, a close inspection
of the area around where the cable terminates
inside the monitor case. There is a small
18 pin chip that acts as the interface chip and
surge protection for the rest of the circuitry.
Unfortunatly this is not user replacable. a
good service center could do it, but costs are
around $125 to $300 to repair, and depending
on what you paid for it originally, replacement
comes in as the cost saver.

Collapse -

by eraser3498 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by zlitocook In reply to Sony CPD G410R No Display

Replace it, if any CRT makes a sound like a loud hum or squealing sound the flyback transformer may be going out. It could do nothing or it could cause a fire. Check Ebay I bought a 17" flat for $75 bucks and it was new still in the box an Acer w/speakers.
It would cost more to fix it then to buy a new one!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Sony CPD G410R No Display

The Squealing noise id most likely the Fly Back or Trippler depending on where you live either way these things generate a lot of power and need to be replaced by professionals as the risk of Electrocution is too high.

With the prices of 17 inch LCD's now it would most likely work out very close to the cost of a replacement Monitor and while slightly more expensive you would have a guarantee on it and not be in a position of having something else fail in a short time that will push the costs of repair well over the cost of a replacement monitor.

I had one 21 inch CRT monitor hit by a power surge and killed and I had the unit repaired at the cost of $350.00 then two days after I got it back it failed again and this time I was without it for 6 weeks and it cost me $480.00 for the repair as the second problem wasn't related to the original problem. The when it came back again it broke about 4 weeks latter again so I just gave up at that stage and went out and brought a new monitor as I had already spent more in repairs that what the Wholesale price of a replacement monitor of the same size was without a working monitor.

Col

Collapse -

Collapse -

by eraser3498 In reply to Sony CPD G410R No Display

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)