General discussion

Sony PCG-340 Notebook won't boot

By vpoole ·
Notebook is P3 800mhz, 512 mb ram, with Windows XP Home Ed. First: Ckdsk would run on startup, freeze @ 28% +/-, then froze @ 90%. Next on startup got screen with foreign language or random letters- looked like ckdsk screen, frozen. Now on startup get green power button, yellow battery light on/off, HDD light on- then immediately off, CD drive light on, then off, HDD is spinning, no screen. Floppy disk and XP cd not recognized. Can not access bios (F2?) Sony Support Site no help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Sony PCG-340 Notebook won ...

All the symtons points to some type of trojan has infected your system,try booting the system with a anti-virus emergency repair disk,if this does not work,then you may want to consider installing the drive as a slave in another system to try backup all files that are important

The last option will be to wipe the drive clean and start fresh.

Collapse -

by vpoole In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Sony PCG-340 Notebook won ...

wow. first thing to fix is no video, or how will we know anytbhing else? how do you know you can't get into bios if no video. maybe sounds like power problem or other hardware (video) to me. how old is this? is this yours or are you working on it? if not yours, what was the problem they brought it to you with? can you get at anything to unplug for a test to try to affect the problem like ram or hd. you have attempted to boot from floppy and/or cd with not joy due to does not recognise them (you think, but how do you know if no video?) did you try external monitor. this thing deosn't have port replicator or dock we can get hands on does it?

Collapse -

by vpoole In reply to

This is my daughter's notebook and my first notebook to diagnose. I tried ext. monitor, removed HD, Cd- no change. It apppears to be a common (Vaio FX340) "power" shutdown problem- well documented at vaioshutdown.com (I did Google searches based on your answer. I'm shipping it out for repair- Thanks.

Collapse -

by vpoole In reply to Sony PCG-340 Notebook won ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)