General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

spam in my outlook 2000 email box

by bisenti ·

hi everyone, i got 3 issues on my plate:

1.i have been getting lots of blank message with attachments from addresses i dont know and some i do. not every1 on my domain gets it.

2.i also get reports that some people receive the same from our domain.

3.we also cant and have never sent emails to 1 particular domain (gov.bw) from ours, emails keep bouncing back, but go through from other domain such as yahoo or hotmail.

help please…

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: spam in my outlook 2000 email box

by softcorp.us ·

In reply to spam in my outlook 2000 email box

Hello…

Regarding:

“1.i have been getting lots of blank message with attachments from addresses i dont know and some i do. not every1 on my domain gets it.

2.i also get reports that some people receive the same from our domain.”

Answer:

Sounds like an email virus has infected computers in your domain. You should run anti-virus on every PC in your domain to remove the virus and prevent further infection.

Regarding:

“3.we also cant and have never sent emails to 1 particular domain (gov.bw) from ours, emails keep bouncing back, but go through from other domain such as yahoo or hotmail.”

Answer:

Some domains on the Internet filter incoming mail by source domain using various criteria. One of them is whether the domain has been the source of spam or viruses in the past. It is probable that this is why your domain cannot send mail to that one domain.

Did this help with your problem?

—–Steve Jackson

CEO/CSA
      Software Corporation (Softcorp)
      http://www.softcorp.us/probono
      Advanced pro bono tools and utilities free for personal use

P.S. Since you’re new to TR: Be sure to rate the answers you get and close your question when you’re done.

Reply To: spam in my outlook 2000 email box

by deepsand ·

In reply to spam in my outlook 2000 email box

Outlook’s spam filter uses the sender’s address AND a STATIC LIST of “spammish” words. Althought said list periodically updated by MS, and Outlook can be updated accordingly, Outlook ‘s spam filter is not trainable by the user.

The e-mails that you and other are receiving most likely have both spoofed senders’ addresses & auto-generated recipients’ addresses. Those that happen to bear live addresses get delivered, or at least, a delivery is attempted. Those that either bear invalid addresses, or are otherwise undeliverable, are returned to the senders’ mail server. If the spoofed sender’s address happens to be a valid one, a return message is delivered.

If you want a trainable spam filter for Outlook, try SpamBayes, available at [v]http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,120352,tk,wb051605x,00.asp[/v].

Viewing 1 reply thread