General discussion

Spelling Office 97 / Windows 2000

By ass.sysbeheer ·
Hello everybody.

I'm having a hard time trying to get the spelling and grammer working right in Office 97 on a Windows 2000 professional workstation. I found a solution on the microsoft site (Q257643) but It still doesn't seem to work. The solution tells me to edit the registry and change the security permission for Users group into allow on the keys; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\Spelling and Grammer. I did exactly that and the spelling option wasn't dimmed anymore but when I try to use the spelling and grammer checker It still says It couldn't be started. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Spelling Office 97 / Wind ...

Did you repeat the process for the grammar section? (I noticed that you are spelling grammar with an "e" instead of an "a") -- please make sure that you edited the registry correctly.

You also need to reboot after doing the registry edit so that the new registry will be read into memory with the proper settings.

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Spelling Office 97 / Wind ...

Yes, I also did the same on the grammar key, and no I did not changed the name. I just mistyped. And I don't think It's necessary to reboot. I did logged in again.

Collapse -

by bradsq&a In reply to Spelling Office 97 / Wind ...

It may not be the best answer depending on your security policy, but we had a similar problem. Office97 was installed by Administrator and the users rights were Standard User. We gave the user administrative rights to the computer. This solved the problem, and may be a work around for you depending on your security concerns.

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Spelling Office 97 / Wind ...

Like you said. We don't want to give everybody admin rights. Sometimes I get the feeling Win2k will not work smooth If the user isn't in the admin group. We also have a digital camera wich has the same sort of problem. The package said It was 2000 compatible, It doesn't say It works right in a nt domain. I think It's all very clumsy.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)