Question

sql 2000 and sql 2008 simultaneous on one server

By Jacques.Gordon ·
Hi we're using a server 2003 x64 with sql 2000 enterprise as the main backend server.

We need to setup sql 2008 for new DBs and development.

Will running sql 2000 and sql 2008 on the same machine cause any issues?

Is there anything I need to do to make sure that sql 2000 is not interupted for more than 30 minutes or so, it's pretty crucial that it's not interrupted for long.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

found this

by Jacques.Gordon In reply to sql 2000 and sql 2008 sim ...

Using SQL Server Side-By-Side with Previous Versions of SQL Server

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143694.aspx

Collapse -

Should Work

by rdevereux In reply to sql 2000 and sql 2008 sim ...

I can't be 100% sure not having run it but certainly SQL 2000 and 2005 ran alongside each other happily on a server I used to manage. They seem to install separate services and i just made sure they had different admin accounts so that they were completely separate.

Collapse -

Should install OK

by MyDIAB In reply to sql 2000 and sql 2008 sim ...

SQL server installs in separate directories under program files/Microsoft SQL Server/ labeled 80 90 or 100. I am currently running 2000 client, 2005 client & database, and 2008 client & database without issue. Make sure you do not run an upgrade, you will need to create a new instance and do not call it default as that should be owned by your previous 2000 instance. And always think worst case scenario. So for this worst case be prepared to take backups of all your databases and be prepared to do a complete reinstall of SQL 2000 should the worst occur. If you have a failover solution that is certainly the way to go.

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)