General discussion

SQL 2000 managed from workstation

By wb7nqm ·
Group,
We are running SQL Server 2000 for our document imaging database and, as admin, I need to run queries on a regular basis. Does SQL have a client version I can install on my workstation to run Enterprise Manager/Query Analyzer? Our server is situated such that I have to stand while working and that can get uncomfortable quickly. I searched MSKB but did not find anything (perhaps used the wrong search criteria). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Carolyn

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to SQL 2000 managed from wor ...

No, it doesn't.

The only way you could do this (without moving the server to a desk), is to install remote comtrol software (like PC Anywhere or Remote Control, etc.) and setup your server to wait as a host (PASSWORD PROTECT IT) and your workstation with the ability to network into it as needed.

Collapse -

by wb7nqm In reply to SQL 2000 managed from wor ...

As I said before, I knew PCAnywhere would work but did not want to leave the server Listening. Also, I wish there was a "somewhat helpful" choice as, if I hadn't know about PCA, this would have been a helpful answer.
Thanks for responding quickly, tho'.
Happy Holidays, Carolyn

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to SQL 2000 managed from wor ...

Greetings,

There are ? maybe - some common SQL database tasks that could be remotely managed.

See the following link to an article titled, ?Remote Management of an SQL Server Database with Access 2000?.

http://support.activeisp.nl/application/sql/sql-access.asp

(REMOVE SPACES if any snuck into the pasted URL.)

This sounds like a ?some? but not ?all? access to SQL management ability. But it may lead you in the direction you?re looking for.

Maxwell

Collapse -

More information:

The following link takes you to an article titled:

?Data Management: SQL Remote Database Access?

http://www.opengroup.org/products/publications/catalog/c307.htm

The following link takes you to an SQL Magazine article titled:

?Scripts for Remote Management?

An excerpt from the article:

??have access to all the management features on the servers, such as Enterprise Manager or Internet Service Manager ??

http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=8239

(Don?t forget to REMOVE those pesky SPACES.)

Good luck,

Maxwell

Collapse -

Another possibility would involve a third-party solution (I don't know the price).

"Database Administrators Can Access, Manage and Control SQL Server Databases from Anywhere, Anytime With Web DBA? for Microsoft SQL Server."

" BMC Software, Inc., [Nasdaq: BMCS], the leading provider of e-business systems management, today announced Web DBA for SQL Server, the latest version of the the company's Web-based interactive database solution. Web DBA? for SQL Server requires only a standard Internet browser to address the daily database management tasks faced by today's database administrators (DBA) and developers. Generally available in January, Web DBA for SQL Server enables developers and DBAs to manage and control their SQL Server databases from anywhere, anytime."

A link to the full article:

http://www.dbadirect.com/worryless_approach/newsevents_link.asp?page=displayframe&type=news&record=28

Regards,

Maxwell

Collapse -

Actually, the rating is wrong as I did not know about running the database remotely on Access. That was very interesting although it pulled the first 10K records (all from 1999) so my dated queries failed!
So, sorry about the rating but there isn't a "helped some" choice!
Happy Holidays, Carolyn

Collapse -

by Stillatit In reply to SQL 2000 managed from wor ...

If 2000 is anything like 7, take the installation CD, put it on your workstation, and run the install. It will tell you that it cannot install the SQL server on a workstation, and offer to install the utilities for you.

Good luck.

Collapse -

Thank you for this suggestion (actually for being the first one, as there was another about an hour later). I now have it installed and working on my Win2K workstation. SO much better on my back and hip!
Happy Holidays

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to SQL 2000 managed from wor ...

Yes, you can run SQL Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzier and all of that from a NT/2000 workstation. I have these tools installed on my workstation right now.
Put the SQL 2000 cd in the cd drive on your Workstation. Start the install.
Click SQL Server 2000 Components
Click Install Database Server
You will then get an error box saying "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 server component is not supported on this operating system. Only client components will be available for installation."
Click OK onthe error box.
Start the wizard.
You will get to an option to install Client Tools. That is what you want. Run the wizard from there.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Thank you for this suggestion (actually for being the second one, as there was another about an hour earlier). I wish I could divide the points between two answers as they both had good information.
Happy Holidays, Carolyn

Back to Software Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next