General discussion

SQL 2000 Security

By agibbs ·
I need to know a way to setup multiple users on a SQL2000 Server and make sure each user can only see their own database. For example, I setup a login user1, give them DBO access to the database user1DB, and when user1 logs in with Enterprise Manager I want them to only see their own database listed (rather than all DB's on the server.)

I've tried this already, granted the login DBO access only to their own database, but all databases show up in Enterprise Manager when the user logs in. The user doesn't have rights to other databases, so if they try to open one they get an error, but I'd rather they just didn't see the other DB's at all.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

SQL 2000 Security

by TimTheToolMan In reply to SQL 2000 Security

Hi,

Two things to try...

1. For each of the other databases, add the user but with no access. ie. Specifically exclude them from access from that database.

That may stop them being seen in the Enterprise manager list...or it may not.

If it doesn't, then you could possibly...

2. I believe the master database list is stored in the master database. You'd need to implement row level security on each database in that list, excluding them from all user but the one allowed.

By the way, I'd be doing this with groups rather than individual users. It's much easier to maintain.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

SQL 2000 Security

by agibbs In reply to SQL 2000 Security

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

SQL 2000 Security

by agibbs In reply to SQL 2000 Security

This question was closed by the author

Back to Security Forum