General discussion

SQL 7.0 Error 18452

By layland ·
I have created a database in Access 2000. I have upsized it to SQL 7.0. Created a File DSN connection to the database for my network users. I just installed Service Pack 3 for SQL 7.0 and now my network users cannot log into the database. The error message states:
Error 18452 Log in failed for user null, reason not associated with a trusted SQL server connection. How do I fix this? Please help. Thanks for your time.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

SQL 7.0 Error 18452

by sl-campbell In reply to SQL 7.0 Error 18452

go to this site:

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=msall&Query=18452&Queryc=18452&withinResults=false&srchstep=0&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&maxResults=25

(remove any spaces that might have gotten into the URL during copying)

Basically (Quoting MS)

CAUSE
This error can occur when the user's SQL Server authentication method is set to Windows NT Authentication Mode. If the authentication method is changed on the SQL Server computer, the changes do not take place until the next time the computer is restarted. This can also occur if you set up a SQL Server 2000 computer by using the Setup Wizard and perform a typical installation or byusing the Sqlins.iss file for a typical unattended installation. The default security authentication mode is Microsoft Windows NT Authentication, which is different from Microsoft SQL Server 7.0. In SQL Server 7.0, the default authentication is Mixed Mode (Windows NT Authentication Mode and SQL Server Authentication). For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q269587 INF: Windows Authentication is the Default Security Mode

RESOLUTION
To change the authentication mode from Windows NT Authentication Mode (only) to Mixed Mode, use the following steps:

Open the Enterprise Manager.

Click to expand the server group.

Right-click the server name, and then click Properties .

Click the Security tab.

Under Authentication , click the SQL Server and Windows option button.

NOTE : You may need to retype the "SA" password in the DSN.

Collapse -

SQL 7.0 Error 18452

by layland In reply to SQL 7.0 Error 18452

Thanks for your time.

Collapse -

SQL 7.0 Error 18452

by layland In reply to SQL 7.0 Error 18452

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)