General discussion

SQL Server 2000 Hardware recommendation

By doug-a ·
I am putting together the hardware specs for an SQL server that will have a 30GB database with 3/4 reads / 1/4 writes, few queries, will also have IIS 5 on the same machine to access the db. Maybe 5 to 10 queries at a time, must of them won't be intense. I need a recommendation for memory size and processor speed and count, and anything else you can suggest.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TimTheToolMan In reply to SQL Server 2000 Hardware ...

Hi,

Just before we answer, could you tell us how important both price and reliability are to you?
Also give us some idea of projected usage growth?

Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

by doug-a In reply to SQL Server 2000 Hardware ...

Reliability is the most important over price, but what has that got to do with the question? I will be purchasing a reliable server once I know what is needed in the server.

Collapse -

Hi,

You dont "buy" a reliable server, you build one.

In your case, for example, I'd say you'll be going for raid-3 or raid-5 for the disk array. That would be my recomendation. Its not the most efficient configuration for SQLServer, but on cost/performance its the best. SCSI is the best choice of disk, obviously, but you'd probably be ok on IDE. Make sure you use hardware based raid, though!

Incidently, raid 10 is the best solution but your machine's predicted loading doesn't warrent it.

As a general suggestion, you should consider using two servers rather than one. One for IIS and one for SQLServer. But again at your predicted loadings, one should suffice.

re: CPU.

We successfully load tested one 8 way Xeon 500Mhz @ 8Gb with 6000 concurrent users as a SQLServer2000 Enterprise addition running a fairly light two tier timesheeting application and so from your point of view, a single 2Ghz Intel will happily service 10 concurrent users and still have plenty of spare capacity to run IIS.

re: Memory.

Again, memory usage in the above test was reasonably low with most of it configured as SQLServer's cache.

I'd say you'd happily get away with 1Gb in your server - allowing 512Mb for each of SQLServer and IIS. I would recommend going higher if you can afford it as this is the area where you'll improve performance for the least cost. Go for 2Gb if you can.

Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

Hi,

Yep, TechRepublic doesn't allow you to accept any answers until you're ready to close. I guess they assume that if its acceptable, then you're done with that particular question and if you need more information, then you'd open another.

What you're doing by adding a comment is exactly the right thing in this case...

For a second opinion, I suggest you take a look at the following site. Its very good...

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/

(remove spaces from the above URL)
...specifically the hardware requirements section...

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/hardware_tuning.asp

(again remove spaces...)

For memory requirements in more detail - start looking here. This page and its linked ones should helpyou....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/adminsql/ad_config_9zfy.asp

(remove spaces...)

I used Microsoft's own recommendations when I set my recommendation to you. 10 transactions/sec is not a high loading.
If you were to want 300 transactions/sec then thats a whole new ball game!

Definitely go for two servers - one for SQL Server and one for IIS.

I'd go for multiple CPUs, preferably Xeons and I'd get 4Gb memory... but surely its either 10 or 300 trx/sec? Thats one **** of a lot of growth unless you're doing a pilot to begin with?

Cheers,
Tim.

Collapse -

This is a new project and I don't know what the end result will be in concurrent user count. This is why I was looking for a range. Money isn't two big of an issue, I have $18K to spend, I just wanted to do it right, and it has to be on the same machine for IIS and SQL.

Collapse -

Answer #2 was acceptable, but I would like to get a second opinion? Is there any formula I could use to figure how much ram I would need? I will be using RAID with SCSI, I had not thought of RAID 10, I'll have to look at it. What if my cuncurrentusers increase to 300? (note - I would like to submit an acceptable rating and keep it open, this isn't an option, what gives)

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums