Question

SQL Server 2000 remote access

By bkennedy ·
Can someone give me some pointers on what would be the best way to access SQL Server 2000 remotely?

I have a server with sql 2000 installed and I want to give some customers access to build databases or create tables from outside. Is there software like (FileZilla) or something that will work with SQL databases? Is there website software that can do this? I know there are hosting companies that have "control panels" for this. Do they use purchased software?

I need something easy where customers can access my server by IP address, User Name, and Password for example.

Any advice would be helpful...

Thanks
bj

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Are you sure about this?

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to SQL Server 2000 remote ac ...

The permission set up under w2k & sql2000,isn't all that granular.
Create database means they are owner so they can delete..
What about being able to access the server os with whatever permissions you are running the service under.
SQL Server has some well known exploits that it basically gets saved from by not exposing it to direct remote access over the internet.

Doing it is easy, just get them to install the sql client tools,and set up the access.

If I got asked to do this, I would sh1t myself. If I was one of your customers I'd sh1t myself twice.

VPN would sort out many issues access wise to the server, but even with the best will in the world, you could be seriously over exposed with this idea.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)