General discussion

SQL Server 2000 running on win2k server

By J_S ·
Hi

This one has got me stumped.
I'm newish to MS SQL 2000 and i'm trying to configure each database running on it to truncate the transaction log. In the SQL book I have it tells me to go to the properties of the database and tick a box. The screenshot it has in the book does not match the properties tabs on my setup (I have 2 SQL Servers, 1 Win 2k and the other NT 4 Server + SP5). I really need to truncate the transaction log files as we run 20 odd databases here and they grow pretty fast. I can live wihout the transaction log for backups as I will back up each database in full every night.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by The Dreamer In reply to SQL Server 2000 running o ...

Hello James,
SQL 8.0 (AKA 2000) no longer allows enabling trunc.log on chkpt from the GUI. You will have to issue a command from the Query Analyser. The command is per database basis. If for instance, you wish to enable truncation on Northwind, youwould type:
Nortwind.TruncateLogOnCheckpoint TRUE
Then click on the spare button (the blue tick).

Collapse -

by J_S In reply to SQL Server 2000 running o ...

Thanks very much.
I did some reading and found that, it might help if I read the SQL Server 2000 help file more carefully.
Although saying that I the screenshot I saw was in a book called Mastering SQL Server 2000 (by Sybex) and they should not have stated the config as they did, pretty poor in my opinion.
There was one more thing I found out, if you set recovery model to simple it is supposed to Truncate as well according to the help file.

thanks again for answering.

Collapse -

by J_S In reply to SQL Server 2000 running o ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)