General discussion

SQL Server 2000 with SMS 2.0

By jon ·
Is it possible to install SMS 2.0 using SQL server 2000? I have looked everywhere for an answer and everything that I have read on Microsoft or anyone else's site is to use SQL 7.0 or the latest. Reading that it sounds like 2000 should work, but during the install I have to select between 6.5 and 7.0. It won't go any farther since version 8.0 (aka 2000) is installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DoubleDown In reply to SQL Server 2000 with SMS ...

I don't know about that, but I feel I should point out that SMS 2.0 can install it's own SQL 7.0 database and will even take care of it pretty well for you.

Collapse -

by jon In reply to SQL Server 2000 with SMS ...

I don't have SQL 7.0 on my server, only 2000. I tried installing without a SQL server installed, but it definitely needs one already installed. If you are saying that SMS 2.0 comes with 7.0 I haven't been able to find that either so please respondif that is the case and I just can't find it. Thanks!

Collapse -

by DoubleDown In reply to SQL Server 2000 with SMS ...

Yes, I am saying that SQL 7.0 comes with SMS 2.0. You may need to do a custom install instead of an express install in order to see the install choices for SQL.

However, it is licensed for use ONLY by the SMS server, and I don't think there is any way to link other applications to use it....Of course, I never tried doing that, but the licensing issue is still there.

As far as documentation is concerned, there is a little in the manual for SMS 2.0, but you may be able to find more if you look at Microsoft Technet or their web knowledge base.

Let me know if you need additional info!

Collapse -

I tried installing using custom install, but it asks for a SQL 6.5 or 7.0 license number and where the setup executable is located. I did get a message stating that the database could only be used for SMS though. Thanks for the help, but still stuck.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)