Question

SQL Server User Error 15401 - How to work around it?

By esalo ·
Hi,

I get this error message when I try and create a new user in MS SQL Server 2000 by attempting to create a new user with <DOMAINNAME>/<USERNAME> in the SQL Server Enterprise Manager. I know that the domain name and username is valid.

ERROR 15401: Windows NT User or Group '<DOMAINNAME>/<USERNAME>' not found. Check the name again.

Here is the setup:

I have Win 2K Server with MS SQL Server 2000 installed. That server is part of a standard group called WORKGROUP. However, it is not joined on any domain for security reasons (it is a web server).

I have a corporate network that is on a domain, <DOMAINNAME>.com. Is there a way to get the Win 2k box to at least recognize the domain without physically joining the domain tree through system properties settings?

I have scoured the net for a fix or how to's on configuration, but with little or no luck. Has anyone figured out a way around without joining the domain tree through other means other than through system properties settings?

Any ideas or workarounds?

-E

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

The server must be in the domain

by Fred123456 In reply to SQL Server User Error 154 ...

Sorry but without some serious hacking you can not get the SQL server to validate Active Directory accounts without the machine being part of the Domain.

It sounds like SQL is installed on the same server as IIS. You should move SQL off and give it its own server. Then you can create the link between the web server, off the domain, and the SQL server on the domain.

Plus hosting the SQL server on the same box as the web server is just asking for trouble. If someone hacks the web server they then have direct access to the SQL server and your stored data.

Collapse -

RE: The server must be on domain

by esalo In reply to The server must be in the ...

Thanks for the reply. I certainly appreciate your response.

What about SQL data cloning of specific tables of interest?

How secure would that be?

Thanks,

-E

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)