General discussion

Stop: 0x0000007B

By aszunick ·
We've inherited a PC at our special needs school.
It's a home built unit using a MSI-6378 Motherboard, using an AMD Duron 1.1 GHZ Pocessor, w/LAN, Sound, and VGA...I've upgraded it to 512mb.

I received the computer with Windows 2000 installed. We have a license for WIndows XP Pro so I decided to upgrade it to XP using the XP upgrade disc. After the installation, on reboot, it failed to load XP and I received the following error message:***STOP: 0x0000007B. Could not boot into the Safe Mode, DOS....etc. There are no virus's on the drive.

I've upgraded quite a few donated PC's and have never run into this problem.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Arnie
aszunick@yahoo.com

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

20 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by darts32 In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

Try here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

Thanks for the note. I've tried that site and did what I could understand.
Arnie

Collapse -

by spidershrek In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

This might Help you:
General Troubleshooting
If none of the issues that have been described in this article apply to you, use the following general troubleshooting steps:1. If you receive one of these error messages while you are installing Windows XP, update the computer BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers for your hard disk controller (from the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller), or do both. For information about how to update your computer's BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers, contact your computer manufacturer. For additional information about the availability of drivers, see the Device Driver Issues section in this article.

Note: If Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 was installed previously on a mirrored boot partition, see the Other Issues section in this article.
2. Use the Last Known Good Configuration feature. This may resolve the problem if you recently installed an incompatible device driver for your boot controller. For additional information about using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307852 How To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP
3. Use the Repair option with Windows XP Setup. For additional information about repairing Windows XP by using the Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315341 How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
4. Restore a registry backup. For additional information about restoring a registry backup, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307545 How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
back to the top

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

Still trying!!

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

If I understand correctly, you are using XP Upgrade CD to upgrade a W2K installation.

Out of the myriad possibilities for your error message, I would first suspect a driver issue. If so, it has to be a basic driver (e.g. hard disk miniport driver) since it will not boot into safe mode.

Since you should not have any data to save, best and probably easiest solution is a clean install of XP Pro instead of an upgrade.

Dalton

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

Still trying

Collapse -

by paul.n In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

I had the same error code on a Compaq SFF 733MHz Pentium III running windows 2000 Pro. I tried to do a repair, MBRFIX, booting in safe mode, reinstall Windows, etc. Nothing. I then tried running data recovery software, such as EasyData Data recovery, GetDataBack, and still couldn't get it to boot. One of the recovery software showed quite a lot of corrupted files, etc. Bad news, but just to let you know. If you fare better, please let me know.

Paul

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

I'm going to try FDisk and installing WIN98. From there I'll try to upgrade to WINXP. This really a first.
Thanks,
Arnie

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Stop: 0x0000007B

When you install 98 remember to wipe the HDD with a wiping utility that writes 0's to every sector so you effectively have a blank HDD to begin with. If your only option is to use an Upgrade to install XP you do not need to actually install 98 just have the install CD handy and insert it when you are asked for it.

XP will then read the CD and ask you to replace thew XP Upgrade CD and install XP straight onto the computer no messing around with 98 at all is required. Of course you'll have to find any individual drivers that may be required and install both SP1 & 2 after the XP installation is complete.

Col

Collapse -

by aszunick In reply to

Still trying.

Back to Desktop Forum
20 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next