Question

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} with a status of 0xc0000005

By gcnivas ·
Friends, someone please help..!!!

3 systems in my office suddenly started showing this BSOD error msg. I tried to login into safemode, didnt workout.. Tried to repair the O/s, that too didnt workout for me..
I get this msg before getting the login screen.. i.e. excatly at "windows is starting up" screen. At that point, all the 3 systems are automatically restarting. When I disable Automatic restarting on system failure, this stop msg is appeared.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I would get some new ram if i were you.. Read more here.

The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.

Usually you get this error message when performing a specific task, and if that happens you need to check the corresponding 3rd party's website/support department to see if they are aware of the problem

..a while back Symantec Antivirus caused the 0xC0000005 error with an additional message about a file called SAVRT.SYS . A simple software update to the Symantec Antivirus cured the problem.

0xC0000005 - Resolution Suggestion One:

In many cases this error has been generated by faulty RAM memory. So if you have just upgraded your computer with some new memory and you started getting this error then I would remove them and see if the error goes away. If it does then send the memory back and get a refund!

0xC0000005 - Resolution Suggestion Two:

In Windows XP Service Pack 2 Microsoft introduced Data execution prevention (DEP), a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help protect against malicious code exploits. In Windows XP SP2, DEP is enforced by both hardware and software.

Some software/application behaviours are incompatible with DEP - data execution prevention. Applications which perform dynamic code generation (such as Just-In-Time code generation) and that do not explicitly mark generated code with Execute permission might have compatibility issues with data execution prevention. Applications which are not built with SafeSEH must have their exception handlers located in executable memory regions.

Applications that attempt to violate DEP will receive an exception with status code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005).

If an application requires executable memory, it must explicitly set this attribute on the appropriate memory by specifying PAGE_EXECUTE, PAGE_EXECUTE_READ, PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE or PAGE_EXECUTE_WRITECOPY in the memory protection argument of the Virtual* memory allocation functions.

If you are having issues with 0xC0000005 errors in DEP and a particular piece of software is causing the offence, contact the vendor for a resolution...

Note: It is possible to "Turn Off" DEP in the boot.ini file but this really would be a last step!

/NOEXECUTE

This option is only available on 32-bit versions of Windows when running on processors supporting no-execute protection. It enables no-execute protection (also known as Data Execution Protection - DEP), which results in the Memory Manager marking pages containing data as no-execute so that they cannot be executed as code. This can be useful for preventing malicious code from exploiting buffer overflow bugs with unexpected program input in order to execute arbitrary code. No-execute protection is always enabled on 64-bit versions of Windows on processors that support no-execute protection.

There are several options you can specify with this switch:

/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN Enables DEP for core system images and those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.

/NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT Enables DEP for all images except those specified in the DEP configuration dialog.

/NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSON Enables DEP on all images.

/NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF Disables DEP. (This setting doesn't provide any DEP coverage for any part of the system, regardless of hardware DEP support. The processor doesn't run in Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode unless the /PAE option is present in the boot.ini file.)

0xC0000005 - Resolution Suggestion Three:

I have also seen this error in the gaming community when folks have updated drivers for their graphics card. If this happens just roll back your drivers and then "Google" to see if their are any other folks reporting this issue. Also keep an eye on the vendors website to see if they have an update/patch available or coming soon.

0xC0000005 - Resolution Suggestion Four:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 stops responding when you try to open an HTML document or a Web page. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
Access Violation (0xC0000005 exception)

CAUSE:

This problem may occur when you use Internet Explorer 6.0 to open an HTML document or a Web page that contains SPAN tags. If a SPAN tag is not closed correctly by using the </SPAN> tag, an access violation may occur.

WHY are you using IE6 still??? Upgrade to IE 7 today!

...and that should have now resolved the 0xC0000005 error for you!

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this info is useful, please give a thumbs up. Thanks

Collapse -

Thanks Peconet...

by gcnivas In reply to I would get some new ram ...

Thanks for your response Peconet!
I already tried with a different Memory Stick.. still the probs is same..
As 3 machines effected with the same probs, I suspect its due to some malware which changed the registry/login values

Collapse -

Ok, this might be a shot in the dark.

Take out the Bios Battery, it will be the circular silver thing with "2032" written on top. Change for a new one, and test to see if this will fix your issue.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this info is useful, please give a thumbs up. Thanks

Collapse -

It could be a Hotfix

by Jacky Howe In reply to STOP: c000021a {Fatal Sys ...

Uninstalling a hotfix using Recovery Console
<br><br>
Boot into the Windows XP Recovery Console using the Windows XP CD-ROM or using the startup option (if available). See article How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP for more information.
<br><br>
Type in the password for your installation of Windows XP, and press Enter.
<br><br>
When you see the C:\Windows Prompt, type this command:
<br><br>
DIR $*
<br><br>
This lists all the folder starting with the letter $. All the $NtUninstall.... folders are now displayed. $NtUninstall folders are nothing but the Hotfix backup folders, which contains the original version of the system files, before the hotfix was installed.
<br><br>
Note down the Hotfix numbers matching the date you installed the problematic Hotfix(es). Spot the Hotfix that you want to remove, and change to that directory by typing this:
<br><br>
CHDIR $NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$\spuninst
<br><br>
Example:
<br><br>
CHDIR $NtUninstallKB873333$\spuninst
<br><br>
Once you're in that folder, you'll need to execute the spuninst.txt which contains DOS commands, similar to a .BAT file. The command instructions in this spuninst.txt file will actually copy the original system files to their respective folders. To run the spuninst.txt file, type this:
<br><br>
BATCH spuninst.txt
<br><br>
The hotfix will be uninstalled. Restart, and see if the problem is resolved. If Windows loads normally, open Add/Remove Programs and completely uninstall that particular hotfix. This ensures that the additional files, Add/Remove entries and other registry keys added by the Hotfix are removed completely.
<br><br>
If Windows does not load, load Recovery Console again and then follow the above procedure to remove the additional Hotfixes one at a time, to isolate the problem. If you install multiple Hotfixes in a single session, it's difficult to point out which of the installed Hotfixes is preventing Windows XP from loading. Hence you need to troubleshoot it on a trial and error basis, using Recovery Console.
<br><br>
<br><br>
Log on to Windows.
<br><br>
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
<br><br>
In the Currently installed programs list, click the Hotfix, and then click Change/Remove.
<br><br>
<br><br>
<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<font size="1"><i>If you think that any of these posts have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome.</i></font>

Collapse -

RE: STOP 21a error

by mrjay67 In reply to STOP: c000021a {Fatal Sys ...

We had/are having these errors with a novell client 4.91sp3(and 4). It seems that there is a patch/hotfix that didnt agree with something in the client. Novell finally posted a post sp4 update that has fixed the issue. Not sure that you are using this client but maybe a third party login of some kind is part of the issue.

In our cases the sp3 version would let us still login if we didn't close the winlogin error and just moved it to the side. when updating to sp4(before the post patch) it went to the BSOD without being able to get around it.

This may not be your situation exactly but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Collapse -

solution I found for the 0xc0000005 error on my pc

by improvepctools In reply to STOP: c000021a {Fatal Sys ...

This article explains what is the 0xc0000005 error, where it comes from and how to resolve it. It helped me.

<a href="http://www.improve-pc-tools.com/index.php/how-to-fix-0xc0000005-error-and-stop-it-forever/">http://www.improve-pc-tools.com/index.php/how-to-fix-0xc0000005-error-and-stop-it-forever/</a>

Collapse -

Zombie Alert!!!

by Mehul Bhai In reply to solution I found for the ...

Zombie Alert!!!

Collapse -

how to fix this kind of error

by technocrat25 In reply to STOP: c000021a {Fatal Sys ...

Delete the C: \ Windows \ System32 \ instcat.dll virus link library.

To delete the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ MICROSOFT \ WINDOWS NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ Notify \ instcat
You can take the following steps to solve your problem
Download Perfect Optimizer!

Collapse -

Zombie Alert!!!

by Mehul Bhai In reply to how to fix this kind of e ...

Zombie Alert!!!

Collapse -

PLAGIARISM ALERT !!!! ....

by OldER Mycroft In reply to how to fix this kind of e ...

http://www.seasonsecurity.com/how-to-fix-stop-c000021a-fatal-system-error-error-in-windows-xp-without-any-cd-roms-64007

As you'll see - this time technorat25 forgot to plagiarise the link!

Back to Software Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next