General discussion

STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)

By DarolLucas ·
Tags: Off Topic
I am making my first contribution to TechRepublic.

In the many, many build-outs I've done of Windows XP Professional, I have come across a situation that is completely unexplainable, but still a problem nonetheless.

The "Blue Screen of Death," know by the industry, in most cases cannot be thoroughly troubleshot, as the errors are not always the same.

In my specific case, the error was always the same:
After completing the build-out, shutting down the system resulted in a Bluescreen with the error
STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error) Windows Logon System Process terminated unexpectedly with a
status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

Like most of you fellow admins, I began getting frustrated, because my only solution was to try to build-out the system again, and hope it didn't happen the next time.

Well, after doing this over and over again, I found the reason.

csrts.exe (a "HacDef" corrupted program file, hidden by the Windows MS32workstation Service).

The solution is simple: If you have a bluescreen when shutting down the system, one possible solution I am hoping to contribute is the following:

Go to Administrative Tools > Services
STOP The Windows MS32workstation Service (for now. It may toss back an error, but it will stop)
Now, Run HiJack This (I keep this program locally on all machines for purposes like this).
Do a Scan & locate the csrts.exe, and FIX IT.
Reboot the system.

This should solve the problem, as it has for me. If not, the issue may be something else for you.

I hope this contribution helps someone, as it has helped me.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Back to After Hours Forum
0 total posts (Page 1 of 1)