General discussion

Strange issue with Checkpoint VPN users and Exchange 2003

By apsolar ·
Hello Gurus,

We have recently upgraded from MS Exchange 5.5 to MS Exchange 2003.
Since then our VPN users have been complaining about issues with
downloading their emails to outlook 2003. The strange thing is, when
we reboot the exchange server, things start working again for them for
a few days (a week maybe). After a week the issue starts again for
them. They are not able to download emails. We are using Checkpoint
Firewall v.R55.

Is there any extra setting on the firewall or the Exchange server that
we are missing? I have been monitoring the firewall and I cant see tcp
packets flowing from the Exchange server to the client when there is a
connection request. UDP packets do work. The client can ping the
Exchange server.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Ankit

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Suggestion.

by deepsand In reply to Strange issue with Checkp ...

I suggest that you try the "Questions" forum. The "Discussion" forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution.

Post problems such as this to the "Question" forum, rather than the "Discussion" forum. There are those who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution, and that's where they go to look for such.

Additionally there are the benefits that:

1) The "Questions" forum provides for your feedback, by way of your being able to mark "helpful" responses as such. This does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but only that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours, so that they might have a ready source of reference available, thereby perhaps obviating the need for them to repeat questions previously asked and answered.

2) The revised TR makes it quite difficult to find both "Discussions" and "Questions" that have not had a fairly recent post, owing to some functions comingling them in the listings. By keeping each type in their respective forums, it is easier for all to find what they are looking for.

Collapse -

Try this

by ananthpc In reply to Suggestion.

Would you please check on the level of encryption on the VPN as well as try any any rule between the VPN connection and the exchange server. I understand that once the server reboots it works find but still try this out it should work.

Collapse -

Try editing Hosts file

by Hurell.Lyons In reply to Try this

Itsn ot a fix so much as a workaround....Have you tried editing the hosts file to point their clients towards the exchange server's IP address.

Collapse -

Check for encryption

by asgr86 In reply to Try editing Hosts file

Hey

why dont you check for the encryption levels on the exchange server and evne the VPN settings.. .. ... . . . . .

Collapse -

Yes Editing the host file solves it..Hurrel is right

by raju.rawat@burrenegypt. In reply to Try editing Hosts file

In scenario, where Checkpoint and VPNs are deployed please do not forget to add the Host IP address to host file.

Collapse -

???

by deepsand In reply to Try this

Why would I want to do that?

Collapse -

Found the solution

by apsolar In reply to Strange issue with Checkp ...

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have found the solution:
http://www.gofixit.com/?m=200505

regards
Ankit

Collapse -

Well.

by bryan In reply to Found the solution

That same very problem did plague a client of mine. We found it fairly quick. It was resolved the same way too.

Collapse -

Sounds Like...

by bryan In reply to Strange issue with Checkp ...

TCPIP Offload engine introduced with Service Pack 2 is interfering with communications. I would have hoped your problem would be resolved but I encountered similar problems and they did not go away until I disabled all of the TCPIP offload options.

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)