General discussion

Locked

Strange OWA problem

By mwuagi ·
We are running Exchange 2000 SP1, on Win2K AS SP2. We didn't even realize the problem until a few of the staff said that they could not access OWA when we gave them their credentials.
Upon checking things out, when these persons tried to access the site (using the same procedure that everyone else uses), they get a message saying that "page cannot be found" "HTTP 404-file not found".
We then checked the IIS 5.0 MMC and looked in //servername/default web site/Exchange to see if they did in fact have folders. All of them DID have folders. We then right clicked each offending folder and selected 'browse'. The offending folders came up with the same message saying "page cannot be found".
The next step was to check to see if OWA was enabled in those Exchange mailboxes. In AD Users and Computers, we enabled Advanced features in the View menu, and looked in the Exchange Advanced tab to see if OWA was enabled through the "HTTP-Enable for Mailbox" feature. It was enabled in all cases. We then disabled it and re-enabled it to see if we could get these particular staff members up and running.
It's funny, but after checking all of the staff members, ther are over a dozen that have this problem, and there seems to be no pattern or reason. The properties of the offending folders in the //servername/default web site/Exchange/ are identical to the properties of the folders that work.
Is there some known problem that we are unaware of?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Strange OWA problem

by Shepster In reply to Strange OWA problem

When testing, are you always using the users machine to test access to their OWA? Can you access a problem users account from a successful users workstation? If you determine this, it will resolve the issue as either a server problem or a workstation problem. If it is a workstation issue, try deleting your cookies on that workstation. If it is a server problem, add a comment to that effect and I will research further.

Collapse -

Strange OWA problem

by Shepster In reply to Strange OWA problem

Also, after reading your description again, a couple more thoughts. Create a test account and see if it is accessible. If possible, delete and recreate one of the users mailboxes (this is difficult as users get very irate when you delete their email, but if the situation permits, it is a good troubleshooting tool). What I am trying to accomplish here is to see whether all new accounts you create have the same issue and if the problem accounts have corrupt mailboxes. Not saying that the onlyfix would be to delete and recreate their mailboxes, but trying to work toward finding the cause of the problem. I find that pinpointing the exact problem and the cure helps me to backtrack and find the cause.

Collapse -

Strange OWA problem

by mwuagi In reply to Strange OWA problem

I did find a solution. After searching literally hundreds of newsgroup messages and MS KB articles, I found KB article Q2578**.
I have to standardize my AD/Exchange account creation so that the default recipient policy address is present in the Exchange addresses. It is so insidious, that i would have probably never figured it out by deleting and recreating, since we sometimes just alter the default SMTP address.

Collapse -

Strange OWA problem

by mwuagi In reply to Strange OWA problem

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Discussions

Related Forums