General discussion

SuSE 10.0Linux/WinXP Installs

By wjcollins ·
I want to install the SuSE Linux 10.0 OS onto my computer, the specifcations are an AMD Athlon 1400 processor, ASUS motherboard, 768MB of DDR Ram (266 speed), 2 hdd, primary is 80G, secondary is a 250G HDD. The Primary has been partitioned into 2 40G partitions. Secondary is part'd into 2 100G partions and 1 46G partition, a DVD reader and DVD Burner.

SuSE 10.0 installer did not pick partition info about either primary/secondary HDD, just HDD info. I have read several articles about dualboot; some say SuSE will see available drive space, while others state available drive space should be left UNPARTITIONED. THEN they too state the installer will pick up the empty space. Both drives were partitioned/formatted under Windows XP.

I do not necessarily want to use VMWARE or other emulator because I do want Linux as the MAIN OS, and hope to mirate completely to Linux--I just need the ability to use WinXP when necessary (like I need to accomplish with a Windows application or for my work.) I have looked at the EXPERT mode on SuSE, and was going to create a partition outside of the WinXP partition, but for some reason I was unable to create a "START" cylinder other than zero. Maybe I am not unsing the proper syntax...I have read the help screen on YaST itslef, however, I have not browsed the DVD and looked for a more definitive help file.

Besides emptying the drive and starting completely over or dumping WinXP completely, what are my NEXT BEST options?
Will deleting the second partition from the primary drive solve the issue?
Will the the SuSE Installer actually know WinXP is on the partition and not overwrite it?
How can I ensure that I keep the Windows XP installation intact.
Should I have used FDISK/FORMAT or NON-WinXP tools?
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to SuSE 10.0Linux/WinXP Inst ...

HIH --
Appendix G. Configuring a Dual-Boot System
Sharing a computer between two operating systems often requires dual booting. You can use either operating system on the computer, but not both at once. Each operating system boots from and uses its own hard drives or disk partitions.

This chapter explains how to configure your system to boot into both Red Hat Linux and another operating system. For clarity, we will assume that the other operating system is Microsoft Windows?. But the general procedures are similar for other operating systems.
the whole enchilada is at:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-x86-dualboot.

suse installer should not overwrite xp. it is gonna overwrite the mbr...

Collapse -

by wjcollins In reply to SuSE 10.0Linux/WinXP Inst ...

Link is dead, PAGE 404 ERROR

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-x86-dualboot.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to SuSE 10.0Linux/WinXP Inst ...

Also the SUSE installer needs a blank area on a HDD to install to so if all your partitions are formated to NTFS you'll need to delete one partition as the native Linux Format is NFS not NTFS.

That is why you are not seeing any available HDD space as to the SUSE installer all the drives are being used so it can not see anywhere to install itself to.

Col

Collapse -

by Jaqui In reply to SuSE 10.0Linux/WinXP Inst ...

As Hal pointed out, you need UNPARTITONED drive space to install another os into.

Why not check this Article:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-5982893.html

it may help you solve your problems.

Collapse -

by robert.ellis In reply to SuSE 10.0Linux/WinXP Inst ...

Certainly with a single harddisk and xp the 9.3 installation "wizard" detected partions, provided resizing and a grub boot menu with appropriate choices.

I guess that the boot partition will always need to start at 0.

Linux will obviously need a partition of its own outside of XP.

My installations these days are purely Suse.

Is there a resize option in the expert section? If so you shouled resize, create the necessary partition and then install.

One tip, the resizing will be quicker if you remove the page/swap file from XP before the resize and then reenable after. This will also ensure that the swap file is not fragmented during the resizing.

Hope this is helpful

Collapse -

by allen1000 In reply to SuSE 10.0Linux/WinXP Inst ...

I too have been looking at dual-booting and have a less powerful pc I'm working with (only has a 10GB HD). A useful tool I found the other day is a linux based program call GParted. You can download the iso and burn the cd and then boot from it. It is pretty easy to use to work with the partitions on the harddrives. You will need to know where XP is installed (usually this will be HDA1 -- the first hard drive first partition). I don't have more than one HD so I don't know how to tell it to use the 2nd HD (HDB), but I think it will see it. If you don't have anything on the 2nd HD of your system then you could delete one of the 100Gb partitions and then either create a couple of partitions that SUSE will see (say two 5Gb partitions and format it as a file type linux likes (ext2, ext3 or reiserfs, etc) or just run the SUSE install and let it propose how to use the available 100GB's of freespace. Windows uses (Fat16, Fat32, NTFS, etc). Then when you run the SUSE install it should see those partitions and offer to use them or propose how to use the freespace. I have only seen SUSE 10.1 so far, and I remember it offering proposals about how to install with the partitions that are available or with freespace it finds. It's always a good idea to backup your system before you start changing it, so if all else fails you can restore it. Suse will install a boot loader that should see the XP installation and provide a menu at bootup to boot XP. Good Luck !

Collapse -

by uppulurivasu In reply to SuSE 10.0Linux/WinXP Inst ...

Hi Collins,
Let me say you the simplest way of installing Windows XP and SuSe Linux on your machine.
a) First Install Win XP on a partition of nearly 40 GB, make this partition as primary.
b) Now you need to edit a registry key in Win XP to see the complete 250 GB HDD.
c) After you install Win XP, place the SuSe Linux Boot CD and proceed with installation.
d) When it asks for partitions, it will ask in the cylinder syntax. Now first you create a 1 GB partition on the RAW HDD note the starting and ending cylinders later caliculate the cylinder count proportionatly to 1GB and reset the HDD partitions. Add the required partitions by calculating the HDD cylinder ratio.
e) Remember 1st partition of SuSe should be 100MB, next should be RAMx2 - Remaining partition.
Any issues pls let me know

Back to Linux Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)