General discussion

Swap motherboards with Windows 2000 Svr

By Megtek ·
I work for a technical training company. We have images of each classroom setup. Recently we upgraded all of our PC's. We upgraded motherboards as well. Now when I bring down any image of a Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000 Advanced Server that was originally installed on the old machines, onto the new machines...I get a blue screen: Inaccessible_boot_device error. I believe this is due to the new IDE controller and the HAL and all that...but how can I fix this to use all of these images? PLEASE help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Swap motherboards with Wi ...

when you say, "images of each classroom", I assume that you mean an image of the previous hard drive. What did you use to create the image? Norton Ghost, by chance? If so:

Symantec has confirmed this problem with Ghost versions 6.0 - 6.04. It happens when a Windows 2000 image is written to a new drive and the size of the destination drive or the location of the destination drive is different from the source drive.

Note that this problem may happen in other circumstances also. In this case, the problem may not be resolved by upgrading Ghost to version 6.5 and later. Read the section "Other causes and solutions."

(continued...)

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to

Other causes and solutions
This problem can also be solved by either of the following:

Partition layout
Ensure that the destination partition layout is identical to the source partition layout, especially that of the boot and system partitions.

Disk initialization
The problem occurs when some of the partition information for the new partition layout and size does not match the partition information for the original layout and size when it should, or it does match the original when it should not. Ghost versions 6.5 and later provide switches for handling disk initialization.

When cloning an entire disk (instead of just a partition), Ghost automatically forces a disk initialization. The disk initialization causes the partition information to change. In some cases this initialization is not appropriate. To prevent Ghost from automatically forcing a disk initialization, run Ghost.exe with the -FDSP (Force Disk Signature Preserve) switch.

When cloning a partition, Ghost does not force a disk initialization. In some cases, forcing a disk initialization during the image restoration will resolve the problem. To force a disk initialization, run Ghost with the -FDSZ (Force Disk Signature to Zero) switch:

See (cut and paste) link:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000050515082425?Open&src=&docid=2000041411271825&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

or

http://tinyurl.com/ngh0

Collapse -

by Megtek In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Swap motherboards with Wi ...

Like you correctly stated the hal is different so the images won't work.
The images only can accept changes on certain hardware (forgot the nice word for that).
Anyway you have to create a new image.

Leopold

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to

it depends of the function of the server.
If the server was running AD you needed a backup server running AD too before it disaster happened, else you are out of luck.
If the server was running exchange for example you needed a backup of only the data of exchage.
you can install the os again, then exchange and then the data of exchange.
there are disaster recovery documentation on MS on that.

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to

just curious on how you are proceding.

Leopold

Collapse -

by Megtek In reply to

Collapse -

by Megtek In reply to Swap motherboards with Wi ...

In response to Answer 1: I do not htink it is Ghost that is the problem. Because I can bring down the images onto ANY size hard drive and it will boot up fine on the old hardware.

In response to Answer 2: What would happen if I had a Windows 2000 Server in production and the motherboard died. The model of the motherboard was no longer on the market so I had to purchase a different one. How would I get my server back up and running? I don't know...but there has to be a way.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Swap motherboards with Wi ...

check out (shudder) sysprep. you actually are supposed to be able to do what you did if you follow procedure and it starts with sysprep. that is why they are telling you you are going to have to reimage. seems to me if you got as far along in the boot process as you did proves you don't have the 'oops, i resized the partition for you without asking' problem but that is easy to try to fix if it is the problem because you can tell ghost not to resize the image when it restores it with the SZEn=F witch. what were the switches you used when you restored the image? what about restoring the image again, using the Ghost's SZEn=F switch, where n is the partition number, for list of switches because you can't use them all with all versions of ghost go to www.symantec.com and search the knowledgbase (link is at very very bottom of support page) for 'ghost' 'switch' and 'clone'. you really want to check out this switch list, plenty of them have to do with boot stuff. and you can look for your error also.
is putting the old motherboard back in to re-image a possibility? what if you used ghost explorer to paste the new driver into the old image? is it same controller, just newer driver?

Collapse -

by Megtek In reply to

Back to Windows Forum
19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next