General discussion

Swapfile or No-Swapfile when using 512 or more mb Ram?

By europanorama ·
I received the tip that i will not need aswapfile anymore when having at least 512 mb Ram.
Some say windows needs it in any circumstances, other mean at least if i use a graphics program.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by lumberjack In reply to Swapfile or No-Swapfile w ...

my advice - keep a swap file - in XP etc it is dynamically created - grows and shrinks as required.

If not sure - switch it off and test!

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Swapfile or No-Swapfile w ...

Unless you are really hurting for disk space, I would recommend keeping the swapfile. Some Windows programs will not work properly without a swapfile, regardless of how much memory you have. To save some disk space, you can probably get away with cutting down the size of your swapfile to equal the amount of RAM you have.

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Swapfile or No-Swapfile w ...

Hi Michael,

Yes, with large amounts of RAM, there are ways to trick Windows into using more RAM, and less page file. Windows still wants / needs some virtual memory for stable operation.

While I agree with the others that you still want to have a swap / page file, the installation of large amounts of RAM changes how we should deal with virtual memory.

My present view on this, is that you want a 'minimum' of 1GB combined real and virtual memory.
If you have 512MB of RAM, you want a minimum of 500MB or so available for the page file.

If you have 256MB of RAM, you want 750MB or so for the page file.

While it is true, that we have more RAM than ever before, we also have applications that use more memory resources than ever.

Keep in mind, that if you run out of RAM either real or virtual, Windows WILL CRASH!

Now, the actual size of virtual memory required varies by how you use your PC.

You can run Windows resource monitoring tools and run the PC as hard as you expect to ever run it.
Look at the logs, and see what the peak page file usage was. Add 10 percent, and that would be a realistic size page file to set for your system.

Considering that you edit images on your PC, I would not be surprised if your page file usage exceeded 1GB, even with 512MB of RAM.

The primary users of no page file, are those who play multi-player LAN games. There is an advantage to having your system tweaked to the absolute fastest performance. Long term stability is NOT an issue for these gamers.

Chas

Collapse -

by europanorama In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by DRiv In reply to Swapfile or No-Swapfile w ...

Chas is correct! I personally would keep a FIXED size swap file on another smaller partition, by itself, with your temp files. Do NOT fully remove it or set it to 0, unless you're fully defragging your system. It will also take longer to boot without one. 512MB is not that much RAM! Some programs NEED the swap file space and use it, no matter how much RAM you have. If you want to speed up your computer move your OS to memory (registry tweak) so it won't swap out. (512 is boarderline for this)

If you have the means of having multiple drives installed put on the one without the OS, and the fastest drive. (NON RAID)

For 512 mb try a fixed size 300. If you are using graphics programs / movie programs it will chew it all up quickly, you'll know when to increase it if you run out. 4GB is roughly the largest, so a partition of 10 gig for your temp files and swap is more than adequate.

If you want to optimize XP / Win2k there are better things to do:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,5155,00.asp
http://snakefoot.fateback.com/default.html

Best of Luck

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Swapfile or No-Swapfile w ...

Yes,keep a swap file.

Now, I have a question for DRIv. How did you make the bold text at the end of your post??? Did you add a bold HTML tag, because I thought tags would not work in the text box?????

Collapse -

Collapse -

by europanorama In reply to Swapfile or No-Swapfile w ...

My present view on this, is that you want a 'minimum' of 1GB combined real and virtual memory.
If you have 512MB of RAM, you want a minimum of 500MB or so available for the page file.

If you have 256MB of RAM, you want 750MB or so for the page file.
questions:

1. 512mb ram: swap 500mb min./? mb max.
2. 256mb ram: swap 750mb min or max?

3. can i set the minimum and windows will set the max?

4. i do not use images/photoshop on my actual pentium 166mmx(btw: i have pcs up to pentium 4 in use)
after a hint from sysopt.com i have set 20/20min/max.

5. how/where can i check the logs? i am using windows me. pls tell us also where in win2k.
i have setup:
c: 1.125 gb boot/swap 20/20
d: 1.125 gb winme
e. 1.75 gb programs/data
i will dislocate cache/temp etc. from d to c
i have done this with the help from someone.

on my photoshop-athlon 1800xp-pc i will setup 60/20 gb-tandem with swap at the second drive.

6. how can i empty swap-file after every shutdown?
7. should i always use speedisk(from norton system works) in save-mode?

Collapse -

8. should i size-down swap to zero before defragging? in save-mode? does this matter in my configuration with separate boot-swap-partition?

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next