General discussion

switching to thin client in 2003 server

By timsandi ·
Help , I have a client who is running server 2003 and has 7 work stations.He would like to know if he would be beter off upgrading to new work stations or switching to thin client terminals. His company is 100% phone and computer usage. Which way should he go to save his company money and admin costs. Any help would be appreciated. I do not know anything about thin client workstations.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timsandi In reply to switching to thin client ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to switching to thin client ...

not even close to enuf info. it totally depents on the apps...having said that:
I say, good time to remind whoever is asking this question that all the software companies have calculators and they don't give 'free' licenses to software just because you have only have it installed on one box. you either pay by the seat or by the user.
and i think it is worth asking everybody you talk to: what is a thin client...
I think it is: no hard disk on the workstation, bootable network cards. wkstn 'boot' from nic then login to server and run all aps from there. Server has to have an appilcation server product like Citrix Server to manage having multiple users running apps on the server.
just get some costs on licensing for Citrix server or windows terminal server and get the minimum client requirements and you will quickly see betcha that is cheaper, easier to run standard workstation/server domain. i did not say workgroup there, i said domain....
in my understanding, the way thin clients pay off is lower admin overhead. to do this, it costs more up front to buy the application server software.... and at 7 wkstans you can't amortize the bigger outlay enuf to make economic sense...but we really don't have nearly enuf info. we need to know what apps are being run. and what are the workstations on now?
i mean, i think you forgot to mention why this question is coming up at all
you have performance issues--?
you have nt4 or win98 clients on older hardware and know a round of buying is in coming up?
thin clients are for big big networks, imho. the cost savings comes in total cost of ownership lowerd due to lower admin costs leading to lower TCO. but it is economy of scale, i say, and not applicable to your situation
as usual, i know nothing so welcome others jumping in here...

Collapse -

by Bobsta In reply to switching to thin client ...

Thin clients connect terminally, so if Server goes down, everyone and everything goes down. Golden rule when using Thin Clients, have a backup Server that is constantly replicating.
If client wants to go thin client make him/her aware they're gonna have'to jack up Server side.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)