General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Switching Windows 2000 server to XP

by medeiom ·

Our old Win2k server is about to die due to low disk space. We bought a pc w/XP that we would like to use as a main server. We have 4 workstations that we took out of the Domain and added them to a workgroup on new XP machine.

The old server has a static IP address and when we swap out the IP to the XP machine, nobody can access the Internet. What am I missing here or what do we need to do before taking Win2k server offline??

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Stop, Just Stop

by nice techie ·

In reply to Switching Windows 2000 server to XP

XP is a client O/S, not a server OS. I am going to guess that your W2K system was your proxy server, which would be the first place I would check. I have never heard of XP being a proxy, nor ever being a ‘server’. You could easily just purchase a used server, load W2k to that and make it a file share. One thing I always suggest is never have just one server handling all your services, but that is just me.

Wrong Direction

by thechas ·

In reply to Switching Windows 2000 server to XP

As stated, you should not even attempt to use a client OS as a server.

Your options are Windows Server 2003, A Linux Server version. Or, wait for Server 2008.

Of course, what you need depends on how you use your server.

Do you use it just as an Internet gateway?

Or, do you host central functions and some form of file server?

If your main use is an Internet gateway, you can do that with a good gateway appliance or even some routers for a small network.

Chas

Viewing 1 reply thread