General discussion

Symantec AV and Exchange 2000 HELP ME!

By TPCCPT ·
I recently installed the new AV for Exchange from Symantec on my new E2K server and set up the rules to delete certain extensions (first mistake right there) I ran the background scan and the AV started deleting the java script attachments from the System Mailbox for Outlook Web Access...Here's an example: (65 of these were deleted)

Location of the message: SystemMailbox{5E703984-BB77-4725-8F03-BCD04E5B9AF9}/NON_IPM_SUBTREE/schema-root/microsoft/exchangeV1/exchweb/controls

Sender of the message: SystemMailbox{5E703984-BB77-4725-8F03-BCD04E5B9AF9}

Subject of the message: readnote.js

The attachment "readnote.js" was Deleted.

This was done due to the following Symantec AVF settings:

Policy: Standard

SubPolicy: Property SubPolicy

Rule: Attachment Name Rule

Needless to say I freaked out and stopped the scan but it was too late. I called Symantec and they said they have heard of this happening before (Thank God I wasn't the only schmoe) and that it was for Outlook Web Access and to re-install Service Pack3. Now when I did a search for these files on my Exchange Server they were still located under the folder exchsrv\exchweb\controls and have the date of Service Pack 3 installed.

The backup was finelast night, e-mails can go out and come in and I restarted the IS once to make sure I didn't corrupt the database. My question is what the heck did I do to the system mailbox? And is there anything I should be concerned about or anything you thinkmight become an issue down the road?

Thanks in Advance Gang.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Symantec AV and Exchange ...

Test it and see if you can still access mail via OWA. If yes, then everything is fine. If no, then go ahead and re-install SP3.

You didn't really "do" anything to the system mailbox. Supposedly the readnote.js file was deleted. Do you have anything specific in the readnote.js file that you want displayed?

Ultimately (untouched) the file is a java-script program that you have already determined still exists on the system and that mail is not affected by this.

If someone tries to access this (a remote computer trying to read this script note), they may get a java-script "file not found" type of error... but it shouldn't crash anything (keyword is that they "may" get an error -- see if you can access this note from a remotecomputer via OWA).

Collapse -

by TPCCPT In reply to Symantec AV and Exchange ...

You did help me but I need a bit more info...before I give you the points.

I think I'm understadning you and I just need you to answer a couple questions and the points are yours.

The difference between the system mailbox and system attendant mailbox? What is the difference.

I not only deleted the readnote.js file I deleted "ALL" the .js files from the system mailbox in the same location (calendar.js, vw_view20.js, view.js) etc, etc. So if I didn't really do anything to the system mailbox does that mean I could technically log into it and delete everything from it without any repurcussions?

FYI I tried to log into OWA and it all worked fine...no problems at all...so am I ok?

Thanks a lot

Collapse -

The System Attendant mailbox is used by the system for passing messages such as Server Monitor notifications. The account is created in the first storage group\mailbox store\servername database when Exchange is first installed. You cannot delete or even move the database until the System Attendant Mailbox is moved to a different database on the same server. It "handles" everything, for lack of a better way to describe this.

The System Mailbox is a destination... where files/mail can accumulate.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253784

See the MS article Q253784. Files should not be deleted from the System Mailbox. Make sure that all of the *.js files still exist there as well where you said that you confirmed that the original readnote.js was still located.

Look at the last paragraph in the above article. :
Note that this should only be done in a supervised situation upon recommendation of Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS). Altering items in the system mailbox may cause detrimental effects to the stability of the Exchange 2000 environment.

Collapse -

If you have already deleted the *.js files from the Server Mailbox, then re-install SP3 and see if they come back. If they do not, then contact Microsoft for potential resolutions.

In your original question, the path you said you checked was for the actual file... you didn't say that you deleted these from the System Mailbox.

Collapse -

by TPCCPT In reply to Symantec AV and Exchange ...

Poster rated this answer

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)