Question

Symantec\subEng has taken 6 gb space hence no space in c drive (100 mb left

By pankaj.dorlikar ·
I am running windows XP Pro and get a message that the C: drive is almost full. On further exploring, it seems that my system drive (15Gb) has 8Gb taken up in a file under Documents and setting called Symantec\subEng. I have no idea what this file is or whether I can delete it to free up some space.Now only 100 mb is left in c drive. Can you help at all please.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Do you have Symantec on your system?.

Symantec/Norton products can be very resource hungry and like the problem you are having sometimes eat up lots of valuable space. I would advise uninstalling your Symantec/Norton antivirus and run AVG free antivirus addition if you are in a non corp. environment. You can use the SymNRT.exe:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
removal tool to completely remove your Symantec/Norton product and then run the AVG setup. If Symantec is running your firewall software to then you can use the WinXP firewall or install a third party product such as Zone Alarm, ZA can be a bit brutal to start with but once you have trained it to remember actions it will start to run more in the background.

There are a few free antivirus products you could use for personal use such as AVG or Avast!

If you wish to stick with your existing antivirus then I have seen it recommended that you could boot into safe mode and manually delete the temp folder in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SubEng\Temp

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Back to Hardware Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums