Question

System drive replaced. 500GB data drive now Dynamic & Foreign.

By OldER Mycroft ·
Disk Management giving option to 'import foreign drive' - will this destroy the partitions / data?

Or should I recover all 300GB of data first?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I would do a back up first if i were you..

If all goes well then fine but if it changes anything then at least you will have a copy of the data. I have not come across this before so the best thing to do is do at least two copies if possible.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this info is useful, please give a thumbs up. Thanks

Collapse -

Import

by Churdoo In reply to System drive replaced. 50 ...

Import should work fine, and should not destroy partitions and data. That's normal behaviour of a so-called "dynamic disk"

I never liked the ole MS dynamic disk, always scares me a little, and sounds like it scares you too, so I agree with PT -- back it up just in case. :-)

Collapse -

You were both correct !!...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to System drive replaced. 50 ...

I did run some backup software, copying all the stuff I didn't want to lose onto my now very sparsely populated system disk.

Then I bit the bullet and imported: You were right Churdoo - dynamic drives send a shiver down my spine. I'm never quite certain what they're gonna do or how they'll behave, no matter how simple the procedure might be.

As it turns out, I lost nothing at all.

The backing up proved beneficial though because it served to show just how much crap I had sitting in those partitions - crap that I wasn't bothered about maybe losing.

Thumbs to both of you. :)

Collapse -

Nice to know all is ok.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Collapse -

convert it to basic disk

by sliesw In reply to System drive replaced. 50 ...

If you can not import the foreign drive, you could convert it to basic disk to access it. Dynamic disk converter can convert a foreign disk back to basic, here is webpage: http://www.dynamic-disk.com/

Collapse -

No freakin' way.

by seanferd In reply to convert it to basic disk

OK, so I'm tempted to mark this as spam, because the only 3 forum posts you have ever made are just directions to product sites, plus you are digging up old posts to to do this.

Not to mention that my dear, sainted Old Mycroft has done shuffled off this mortal coil. Thou shalt not cast spam in his name.
The previously given answers were obviously quite sufficient, so I have now come to my decision.

Collapse -

Thought so, too.

by santeewelding In reply to No freakin' way.

Didn't go so far as to check the links.

Didn't like the besmirching, either.

Almost calls for the use of, *** hole. Brian would like that, I think.

Collapse -

Nod.

by seanferd In reply to Thought so, too.
Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)