General discussion

System Process At 100% Processor Time

By Grizwald54 ·
We have a server where the system process is pegging the processor 95-100% usage. Reboots don't resolve the issue. We have stopped every service that can be stopped without killing the server and have not been able to get the processor usage to drop. You can still open
applications with no issues or delay. The fact that the processor usage is so high does not appear to be affecting server performance at all. The server is a DC, and is running Exchange and Backup Exec. It is also runningNorton Antivirus Corporate Edition. Any ideas on additional tests that we can run to get to the root of the problem? Is there anything out there that typically causes this type of problem?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by j.a.lawrence In reply to System Process At 100% Pr ...

Open up Performance Monitor, choose the PROCESS performance object, choose % of processor time as the counter, &choose ALL INSTANCES radio button.

The graph should give you an idea of which precesses are your hi cpu users.

After you've determined which process is using the most cpu, you can refine it down even farther by choosing the THREAD object, % Processor Time, & choose all the threads that use that process.

You can also get the high cpu users by doing an ALT/CTL/DELETE, choose Task Manager, Processes tab. There's a CPU column in there, by doubleclicking on it, you can sort high to low. This will tell you what process is burning the cpu.

I've seen this kind of behavior in poorly written VB code that tries to pause by looping thru a DOEVENTS.
Did you take a hard look at Norton? He can do some serious file scanning...

Good luck!
John

Collapse -

by Grizwald54 In reply to System Process At 100% Pr ...

Thanks for the try... But all of that has been done. It has nothing to do with Norton - verified this by disabling it. We've already done all of the other steps.

Collapse -

by zepolie In reply to System Process At 100% Pr ...

What brand of server? How many MHZ is the processor? How much RAM is installed? Are you running Norton for Exchange in addition to the corporate edition? How many users does Exchange support, and how busy your users, email wise? Are we talking about NT 4.0 or 2000 server, and is Exchange 5.5 or 2000? Is Norton scanning client PC's during the day? Do you have an Exchange agent in use with Backup Exec? Without answers to the above questions, my first guess would be to run performance monitor and see what you get and go from there. If your server is a Compaq server, there should be utilities either already installed or that you can install to monitor your system.

Collapse -

Gateway server. 966 Mhtz Pentium 3 processor. 768MB RAM installed. Norton for Exchange is NOT installed. Exchange supports roughly 25-30 users who have a light to medium load when it comes to e-mail. This is a Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 2000. Norton is scanning client PCs durning the day using realtime scanning, but that is being done via each individual client, not from the server. Backup Exec 8.6 is running with an Exchange Agent, Remote Agent, and SQL Agent (different server). Sorry - I should have been more clear.

Collapse -

by zepolie In reply to System Process At 100% Pr ...

See Technet article Q290160. Talks about Exchange using processor time. SP2 has fixes for this problem.
Article Q282865 talks about a winsock shutdown and has a link to a fix for the problem.
Hope this helps you, if not, we'll keep looking.....

Collapse -

It's not an exchange process that is causing the problem. I just tested my theory - stopped all Exchange services and the problem still existed. This might be something we need to contact Microsoft for. But I'm just trying to get ideas so we can save our client the fees that MS charges to open an incident.

Collapse -

by barrette1 In reply to System Process At 100% Pr ...

Jason,

I got my tail kicked on this before. You may have the same problem. Boot to system setup and check your internal/external cache settings to ensure they are enabled. If your cache is disabled it will cause your CPU to over work. Its a shot in the dark. Good luck. Brad

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)