Question

T2682 new processor help

By stormylanding ·
I need more speeeeeeed. I recently bought a new cpu that "new egg" said would work in my motherboard. (the original that comes with T2682) and when i installed it nothing worked. 1 out of 2 fans hummed but did not start and nothing was sent to the monitor. Im pretty good with computers just never done brain surgery. help?

i have 1GB ram, a decent graphics card and a 2.6 Ghz celeron.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You'll need to list the Make & Model of the M'Board

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to T2682 new processor help

Or if you have an off the shelf system the Make & Model of that as well as the package number of the new CPU that you've brought and what you are attempting to upgrade from before anyone can give you an answer as to what is happening here.

Col

Collapse -

Ok

by stormylanding In reply to You'll need to list the M ...

Intel(R) 82801DB LPC Interface Controller - 24C0

i believe this is the mobo? not sure its an off the shelf computer never changed it from best buy about 3 years ago. the proc i bought from newegg is

CPU INTEL|P4 3.0E 478 1M 90NM %

and the cpu that works now is

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60Ghz

thx again

Collapse -

OK looking at the Intel Site they claim to have 2.66 Celeron's in

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Ok

The 775 Package and the 3 GIG P4 is also in the 775 Package so it should just be a quick 90 degree anticlockwise twist of the 4 heat sink locking tabs and lift off the Fan/Heat Sink then lift the locking lever, swing up the metal plate and remove the CPU.

Inserting a new CPU is the reverse of removal but you have to make sure that the CPU is fitted the correct way there are 2 slots cut into opposite sides of the CPU which Locate it in the CPU Socket and if these are not lined up the CPU will not be making contact with the pins in the socket properly so it will not work.

I've seen a couple of these CPU's fitted incorrectly but the good news is that they are very rarely damaged by fitting them this way. You need to make sure that the CPU is flat in the socket before lifting the metal cover and locking it in place with the lever. Then you can refit the Fan/Heat Sink by pressing the thing in place and then pushing down on each of the 4 black securing knobs so that it locks into place.

The part number is of the IO Controller not the M'Board but the good news is that as you are using a single core CPU it should work on any 775 M'Board made by Intel or for the Intel 775 CPU. Where you could have problems is if you had brought a Dual Core or a Dual Core with HTT as some M'Boards do not support these CPU's though admittedly they are old and are the first generation 775 Socket M'Boards.

If the M'Board is under 18 months old it should support any 775 Socket Intel CPU up to the Dual Core with Hyper Threading Technology but you'll have to enter the BIOS and allow it to Auto Detect the CPU when you get it mounted properly & running.

For best performance you should have 2 sticks of RAM on this M'Board that are identical as you'll get far better performance roughly double the speed of just 1 stick of RAM but they need to be mounted in the correct Sockets and should be Identical or they will not work properly. Generally these are sockets 1 & 3 or the orange RAM Sockets depending on the M'Board Model.

If the Celeron works but not the P4 and you are sure it's fitted correctly it's possible that you have a Faulty CPU, if you attempted to run it without the Heat Sink fitted the CPU will be burnt out but as there is no way of knowing this Intel will replace it at least once Under Guarantee for you if the people that you brought it from will not come to the party and replace it. But a word of warning here there has to be Heat Sink Paste on the CPU this is the Grey Grease on the bottom of the Heat Sink if there is nothing on the CPU or you have cleaned it up refit it and the Heat Sink before sending it back for replacement but the main thing is to make sure that the CPU is properly located in it's socket with the locating pins fitted into the slots cut into the CPU. You also need to make sure that the plastic has been removed from the bottom of the Heat Sink so you get a good thermal contact.

The only thing I'm not sure about here is the setup for a Celeron as apposed to a P4 the RAM requirements could be different and that could be causing your problem as well. You'll need to look in the M'Board Book for directions here as to the best way to configure the P4 and RAM. If you have an Intel M'Board there is no Manual supplied with the M'Board it's on the M'Board CD as a PDF File that you need to read.

But if nothing is happening it sounds as if the CPU is incorrectly fitted in its socket. If it was in correctly the fans would run instead of just twitching when you attempt to turn the power on.

The really good thing with the 775 Intel's is that they have no pins to bend so life is so much easier as you can do piratically anything to an Intel CPU except Bend the Pins and it will be replaced UG without a second thought by Intel.

Just as an after thought if the unit is running with the Celeron Fitted this shouldn't be an issue but quite often the Power Supplies can break down under load and as the P4's use more power it's possible that the Power Supply is failing under load. I've seen 1 Antec True Power do this about a year ago now and it would maybe allow the system to boot once in every 30 minutes of attempting to start the system. If you are sure that the CPU is correctly fitted it may be worth the effort in changing the PS to a good Brand One and see if that fixes the problem. Or you could try testing with a Known Good PS that's been running a P4 before changing the PS over.

Personally I always use Antec PS's as I've only ever seen 1 fail in all the time that they have been available and better still I've seen one protect the computer that it was driving when a tree fell onto the overhead power supply allowing the High Voltage Transmission Lines to come into contact with the Mains. The Antec PS destroyed itself but when it was replaced the system worked perfectly for the next 5 years till it was removed from service. That was 33 KV coming into contact with the 240 V Mains here so while I wouldn't recommend testing in this manner it's nice to know that there is that amount of safety built into these Power Supplies.

Col

Collapse -

say what?

by stormylanding In reply to OK looking at the Intel S ...

i can't find what your talkin about turning 90degrees cc wise. I take the heat sink off (with fan attached) and below that is the old cpu. i can get that out just by raising the lever and its released. can't find any notches to turn or anything. and when the new proc was in there it did make a fan noise but it was very quite like standby but the cpu fan did not turn at all. (yes it was plugged in) is there a graphic of somesort or am i looking at the wrong solution to my problem? what do have have to physically move or change for the new proc to work. thank you in advance for helping me thus far.

-Luke

Collapse -

OK Look on the bottom of the CPU

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to say what?

and see if there are any pins sticking out or if it's flat with gold connectors on it.

Also tell me how you remove the Fan Heat Sink are there two levers on the sides that you lift up or are there 4 screw like things that you need to turn?

Then tell me what you see.

Col

Collapse -

Pins

by stormylanding In reply to OK Look on the bottom of ...

It has lots or pins and missing 2 in one top corner just like my old cpu. no gold connectors. i remove my heat sink by unbuckleing the 2 pressure straps kind of like a hitch of some sort. one on each side of the heat sink. unplug the power cord and "fan heatsink" come out in one piece. Under that is a white cpu holder with the correct amount of holes for the new cpu and a pressure lever to release and lock the cpu into place. hope this helps

Collapse -

Pins

by stormylanding In reply to OK Look on the bottom of ...

It has lots or pins and missing 2 in one top corner just like my old cpu. no gold connectors. i remove my heat sink by unbuckleing the 2 pressure straps kind of like a hitch of some sort. one on each side of the heat sink. unplug the power cord and "fan heatsink" come out in one piece. Under that is a white cpu holder with the correct amount of holes for the new cpu and a pressure lever to release and lock the cpu into place. hope this helps

Collapse -

OK you have one of the older P4's

Now look on the box that the new CPU came in and there should be a sticker telling you which type of CPU you have brought.

It will be a white sticker and on the top it should read Pentium [r] 4 Processor 3.00 GHz 1.55 V max. The next line will have System Bus 800 MHz 512 KB L2 Cache then the important thing it can be several different things here but should be something like PGA-478 Pkg.

That describes the CPU form Factor it's a PGA-478 P4 CPU though there could be some different numbers after the CPU but they will be the number of Pins that the CPU actually has and are supposed to fit into the Socket that is on the M'Board.

With the Fan Heat Sink removed look at the white Zero Insertion Force socket and make sure that the number after the PGA bit is the same as the one of the socket. Currently there are 4 different P4 sockets that have been used so you'll need to be sure that you have got the right CPU for the M'Board that you have.

Col

Collapse -

OK you have one of the older P4's

Now look on the box that the new CPU came in and there should be a sticker telling you which type of CPU you have brought.

It will be a white sticker and on the top it should read Pentium [r] 4 Processor 3.00 GHz 1.55 V max. The next line will have System Bus 800 MHz 512 KB L2 Cache then the important thing it can be several different things here but should be something like PGA-478 Pkg.

That describes the CPU form Factor it's a PGA-478 P4 CPU though there could be some different numbers after the CPU but they will be the number of Pins that the CPU actually has and are supposed to fit into the Socket that is on the M'Board.

With the Fan Heat Sink removed look at the white Zero Insertion Force socket and make sure that the number after the PGA bit is the same as the one of the socket. Currently there are 4 different P4 sockets that have been used so you'll need to be sure that you have got the right CPU for the M'Board that you have.

Col

Collapse -

PGA-478B

by stormylanding In reply to OK you have one of the ol ...

There is a B after the pga-478b. is that a problem? the CPU i bought is a
CPU INTEL|P4 3.0E 478 1M 90NM %
but there is no b on that. i searched newegg for 478b just now and no procs show up. is it an e-machine only type thing??? I also asked a friend of mine and he said i might need to flash my bios? (don't take anything he says seriously) he doesn't always know what hes talkin about. thx again

Back to Hardware Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next