General discussion

Temp machine for AD2003 upgrade from NT4

By rigneyma ·
In our pending upgrade from NT4 to AD/2003 I would like to quickly retire the NT4 PDC on which the initial 2003/AD upgrade is performed. This is so I can have clean 2003 installs on the 2 new rack boxes that will become our DC and DNS servers. I plan to promote the 2 new servers to DC's and istall DNS on both. Now do I only need to make sure the 5 FSMO roles are transfered to one of the new servers? Is this best done by demoting the server I want to retire? Are there other considerations before retiring the first server upgraded to AD?
Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Temp machine for AD2003 u ...

Here is the whole planning and deployment guide of MS.
http://tinyurl.com/vg30

(also applicable to w2k3)
If you have a pdc and a bdc,
setp 1 is actually taking of the pdc offline and upgrade the bdc to w2k3 and run dcpromo.

This precaution is nessesary in the case taht something may go wrong during the installation upgrade to the new os, you would be able to revert
to your previous state.

on your path I would suggest install the w2k3 as a bdc, demote the nt4 pdc, promote the w2k3 and if there would be only w2k system servers in the organization use the option "compatible only with windows 2000".

Leopold

Collapse -

by rigneyma In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by rigneyma In reply to Temp machine for AD2003 u ...

How do I safely retire the first DC in an AD domain? What's the best way to transfer the 5 FSMO roles? What other tasks need to be done to get rid of that machine? The goal is to only have DC's that were clean WS2k3 installs, not upgrades from NT.

Collapse -

by Kinetechs In reply to Temp machine for AD2003 u ...

All manual steps to change FSMO roles. Link below is a pretty good atricle with screenshots and all.

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/fsmo.htm

cheers!
~Sean

Collapse -

by rigneyma In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by rigneyma In reply to Temp machine for AD2003 u ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)