General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Terminal Services Windows 2003 Server

by cliff680 ·

When users connect to my Terminal Server on Windows Server 2003 they have the option to Shut Down in the start menu. They have shut down the server a few times, because they don’t know any better. Is there a way for me to remove the Shut Down option from the start menu???

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Terminal Services Windows 2003 Server

by cg it ·

In reply to Terminal Services Windows 2003 Server

Group Policy. There is a Group Policy user Windows configuration that allows you to remove and block access to the shutdown command from the start menu.

by cg it ·

In reply to Reply To: Terminal Services Windows 2003 Server

Since this is for Terminal Services, the Group Policy object should include ALL users who will connect via terminal services and the profile path should reflect this.

by cg it ·

Since this is for Terminal Services, the Group Policy object should include ALL users who will connect via terminal services and the profile path should reflect this.

by cliff680 ·

Poster rated this answer.

by rindi1 ·

I agree with answer 1, but would like to add a further tip. With group policy you can keep the shutdown button from being displayed. If someone opens a command prompt, he can still shutdown the server by simply tiping “shutdown”. So, if your users don’t have any reason to use the command prompt, you can also prevent them from using it via group policy.

by haileyan ·

It sounds like you gave all of your TS users local admin rights on the server. Definitely do not do that. 2003 does not by default let regular users shut it down.

by cliff680 ·

I can’t find a Group Policy item that would do remove the Shut Down from the start menu. The srtart menu doesn’t even have a disconnect. The only disconnect is in the shut down drop down menu.

by haileyan ·

The policy for allowing shutdown is in:
      Security Settings\Local policies\User Rights Assignment\Shut Down the System

Make sure that only admins are listed here.

Please note that this is the local policy on the Terminal Server and may not be listed in your group policy object in Active Directory User’s and Computers.

by eggy ·

Great answers! Is there not a way to remove the Shutdown button for the unauthorized users (and only them)? I know how to remove it in general, but it removes it for all users (including Admin).

Thanks,
      Pete

by cliff680 ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 6 reply threads