General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Test Cisco 2500 routers on LAN

by interpretivewoodwork ·

This may seem like a lame question,but there is some basis for it…really! Im studying on my own in preparation for ccna exams. I have in my office (2) cisco 2500 routers not being used ( on the shelf). I’ve been playing around with them (connecting into the console port only) with configuration, passwords,etc. but I would like to connect them to our LAN and create a separate network and use them in a more real senario.
    The problem being, only one Ethernet port on each. My question is: Can I successfully inter-connect these via serial ports,thus producing (2) usable Ethernet ports. And if this is possible, what would be the most practical way to accomplish this, (I actually don’t have a cisco-cisco serial cable, if there is such a thing). Is there a way to do this?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by fabiano pacheco ·

In reply to Test Cisco 2500 routers on LAN

Hi…you?ll not be able to connect two serial interface because beetween this two routers anything is needed to generate a clock signal, usually a modem (if you configure a serial port as DTE you will need a clock signal generated by an CSU/DSU or other DCE device).

I do have a csu/dsu. Are you saying that it is possible with this?
      serial – csu/dsu – aux ? or serial – csu/dsu – serial? Not clear.

by some guy in seattle ·

You can set up the ciscos to provide their own clocking, however you will need to get a DTE/DCE cable to hook the serial ports up back-to-back. Remember, after hooking up the cable only one cisco will need to provide the clocking, I believe on the DCE side (this will be the master). Go to this URL and click on “clock rate” for a basic idea: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios112/112cg_cr/1rbook/1rintrfc.htm#xtocid1667727

On a secondary note, as a temporary thing, you can configure each interface to have multiple IPs. The command is (after entering interface mode) “ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x secondary”. This will at least let you practice messing about with access lists. Plus one machine can be set up on your corporate network with a secondary address pointing to the other as a gateway to get to the secondary address (or third network) of that one. Lots of options there.

Hope that helps,

by mckaytech ·

You could use a setup that used serial -> CSU -> CSU -> serial but you’re much better off just getting a DCE/DTE cable as mentioned. We did that in our test lab and used three 2501 routers to simulate three subnets using the serial interfaces to simulate the WAN links – if you need the part numbers for the cables and basic configurations for the routers, I would be glad to send those to you.

paul

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 4 reply threads